Life's Learning Path Towards Cross-disciplinary Competencies: An Assessment
Keywords:multi-disciplinary, project learning, assessment, authentic learning, contextual-pedagogical learning environments
At the moment, the changes affecting school and education are topics of discussion more than ever before. The new core curriculum for basic education (2014) and digitalization of learning tools serve as major ignitors of discussion: nowadays information and communication technology reach the teacher and the pupil elsewhere, not just in the ICT class of the school - it moves wirelessly everywhere, backpacks and pockets too. The change in school and in education is not only the new introduction of premises, places or tools but also above all the updating of the teachers' professionality to correspond with today's ideas of good learning and of realizing the curriculum as a part of the pupil's life. It means the awareness and skills of what today's teaching and learning contain, what kind of learning theory directs operation and how the teacher's own professionality meets these changes.
In this article we examine the pupil's assessment as a part of the multi-disciplinary learning process from the points of view of transformational pedagogy (transformational pedagogic, QED) and the core curriculum (2014). The objective is to identify ways which are based on these and methods to develop teaching and learning so that every learner has equal chances to learn, grow and to develop in the environments which support learning whilst developing their cross-disciplinary skills. The article presents and explains one multidisciplinary learning module, Dive into culture through games -learning project, which is based on the learning theory of the new core curriculum 2014. The model of contextual pedagogical approach for learning and the examination of the different dimensions of the teachers' knowledge and skills of the 2000s (Piispanen & MerilÃ¤inen 2013) form a theoretical frame of reference for the learning project.
The results show that the planning and implementation of teaching, which is based on the contextual pedagogical model of teaching and learning, supports the individual learning of the pupil in the National Curriculum 2014 (OPS 2014) frame of reference in the context of the basic education.Â
Atjonen, P. 2013. Perusopetuksen opettajat oppilasarvioinnin tekijÃ¶inÃ¤. Teoksessa: P. Atjonen (toim.) TyÃ¶ Arvonsa ansaitsee. Juhlakirja 113 -vuotisen kajaanilaisen opettajankoulutuksen kunniaksi. Oulun yliopisto, kasvatustieteiden tiedekunnan julkaisuja. 104-118.
Bookhart, S. 2004. Assessment theory for college classrooms. http://www.gwu.edu/~fellows/GTAP/Online%20Makeup/T-L%20Presentation%20Readings/Assessment%20Theory_2004-Winter_p5.pdf
Earl, L. M., & LeMahieu, P. 1997. Rethinking assessment and accountability. Teoksessa: A. Hargreaves (toim.) Rethinking educational change with heart and mind. ASCD Yearbook. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. 149-168.
Herrington, J., Reeves, T. C. & Oliver, R. 2010. A Guide to authentic learning. New York and London: Routledge.
Krathwohl, D. (2002). A revision of Bloom's taxonomy: An overview. Theory Into Practice, 41(4), 212-218. http://www.unco.edu/cetl/sir/stating_outcome/documents/Krathwohl.pdf
Luokanopettajien aikuiskoulutuksen opetussuunnitelma 2014-2017. JyvÃ¤skylÃ¤n yliopisto, Kokkolan yliopistokeskus Chydenius, Opettajankoulutuksen julkaisuja.
Marandos, S. A. & Randall, I. 2012. Engaging and Motivating Students: Five research based models/approaches for engaging students to be productive! http://asbbs.org/files/ASBBS2012V1/PDF/M/MarandosS2.pdf (luettu: 12.6.2013)
Marandos, S. A. 2013. What factors determine what the ideal school should be like? What are the characteristics of effective schools? 15th Annual International Conference on Education. The Education Research Unit of ATINER. Vertaisarvioitu artikkeli konferenssijulkaisussa. Presentation 20.5.2013. Athens.
MerilÃ¤inen, M. & Piispanen, M. 2012. Learning as a Phenomenon - Manuscript of Phenomenon Based Learning. Toim: L. GÃ³mez Chova, A. LÃ³pez MartÃnez, I. Candel Torres. Edulearn12: 4th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies IATED. 5447â€“5454.
MerilÃ¤inen, M. & Piispanen, M. 2013a. Phenomenon Called Learning! Atiner conference paper series no: edu2013-0598. 1-19. http://www.atiner.gr/papers/EDU2013-0598.pdf
MerilÃ¤inen, M. & Piispanen, M. 2013b. Journey of exploration on the way towards authentic learning environments. Teoksessa: D. G. Sampson, J. M. Spector, D. Ifenthaler & P. Isaias (toim.) Cognition and exploratory learning in the digital age. IADIS. 159-169.
MerilÃ¤inen, M., Valli, R. & Piispanen, M. 2014. Adapting iPads to Pre-service Teacher Education. The 7th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation. Iceri 2014.
Naumanen, H., PyhÃ¤ltÃ¶, L-K. & Riihonen, K. 2015. Projektiharjoittelun kokonaissuunnitelma. JyvÃ¤skylÃ¤n yliopisto. Kokkolan yliopistokeskus Chydenius. Luokanopettajien aikuiskoulutus. Julkaisematon.
Naumanen H., PyhÃ¤ltÃ¶, L-K, & Riihonen, K. 2015. Projektiharjoittelun pohdintatehtÃ¤vÃ¤. JyvÃ¤skylÃ¤n yliopisto. Kokkolan yliopistokeskus Chydenius. Luokanopettajien aikuiskoulutus. Julkaisematon.
Opettaja 1/2015. Ops! Oppiminen uusiksi. http://www.opettaja.fi/cs/opettaja/jutut?juttuID=1408910277036 (Viitattu: 17.11.2015)
Piispanen, M. 2013. Anna mun oppia ja osata! Oppimisen konteksti ja pedagogiikka uudistavan koulun avaimina. Teoksessa: P. Atjonen (toim.) TyÃ¶ arvonsa ansaitsee. Oulun yliopisto, Kasvatustieteiden tiedekunnan julkaisuja. 139-154.
Piispanen, M., & MerilÃ¤inen, M. 2015. Assessment as a Possibility for Individual Learning and Success in Contextual Pedagogical Learning Environment. International journal for cross-displinary subjects in education, 6 (4), 2312-2321.
Puentedura, R. 2010. SAMR and TPCK: Intro to advanced practice. http://hippasus.com/resources/sweden2010/SAMR_TPCK_IntroToAdvancedPractice.pdf
Rule, A. C. 2006. The components of authentic learning. Journal of Authentic Learning, 3(1), 1â€“10.
Tech4Learning. 2015. Recipes4success. Project design. http://recipes.tech4learning.com/index.php?v=pl&page_ac=view&type=learning&catid=4
Sahlberg, P. 2013 a. Uteliaisuudesta intohimoon. http://pasisahlberg.com/uteliaisuudesta-intohimoon/
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.