The Effectiveness of Face-to-Face Tutoring on the Mastery of Law of Distance Education Students
Keywords:Face-to-Face Tutoring, Law Course Materials
Face-to-face Tutoring by tutors is highly effective for students in mastering the materials of law. There is an overall significant improvement in learning outcomes after following face-to-face tutoring, both on cognitive as well as affective aspects. Only a small part of the face-to-face tutoring does not affect the mastery of the materials, especially in the high group.
Face-to-face tutoring is one of the learning forms provided by the Open University (Universitas Terbuka). The tutorial of the S1PGSD (Bachelor Degree of Elementary Education Program) is held in eight meetings in a semester in one of the coursesis â€œElementary School Civic Education Materials and Learningâ€. The method employed in the pretest and posttest of the experimental research is aimed at measuring the effectiveness of the model in learning achievement on the subjects after the treatment. The research sample is a study group in the Serang Regional Office, i.e. four learning group study treatments, which followed face-to-face tutoring. The samples, which were determined using probability sampling, were among the S1 students in the Serang Regional Office.
The research data shows that the studentsâ€™achievement in the Low Group had significant imrpovement.A smallportion of face-to-face tutoringdid not impact the studentsâ€™ mastery of the materials. It is supported by three categories of students: 1) those who relied only on the explanation by the tutor and did not study the learning materials, 2)those who not only learned the learning materials but also seriously followedthe tutorials, and3)those who did not follow the face-to-face tutoring nor learned the learning materials, but gained knowledge from materialsoutside of the universityâ€™s learning materials and tutorials.
The students stated that the tutorials were very helpful in understanding the learning materials, especially for understanding difficult terms. This research aims to determine the effectiveness of the face-to-face tutoring on the studentsâ€™mastery of the law materials. To learn the law materials is important, because it needs early awareness of the law.
The results of this study in relation toface-to-face tutoring is expected to be developed by the S1 Elementary Education Program in the Faculty of Education in order to improve the studentsâ€™ abilities and help them get accustomed to think, judge, and make decisions when faced with issues in learning the materials. To further strengthen of the studentsâ€™ capability, the Open University students should learn through modules independently, but they also need to follow face-to-face tutoring.
â€¢ Arikunto, S. (1998).ProsedurPenelitianSuatuPendekatanPraktek, Jakarta, RinekaCipta.
â€¢ Furqon.(2001). StatistikaTerapanUntukPenelitian. Bandung: Alfabeta.
â€¢ Juleha&Pratmoko.2004. PengembanganBahan Ajar.Jakarta PAU-PPAI.
â€¢ Nana Sudjana (1987.Dasar-dasar Proses BelajarMengajar. Bandung: SinarBaru.
â€¢ Nasution, S. (2000).BerbagaiPendekatanDalam Proses BelajarMengajar. Jakarta: BumiAksara.
â€¢ Pannen, P. et al. (1996). EvaluasiKualitasModulUniversitas Terbuka. Jakarta: LembagaPenelitianUniversitas Terbuka.
â€¢ Roestiyah, NK (1979) KompetensiMengajar Guru. Jakarta: Nasco.
â€¢ Saripudin, U. W. (2010). MateridanPembelajaranPKn di SD. Jakarta: Universitas Terbuka
â€¢ Sri SumiyatidanSyaifulMikdar, (2010), Penelitian Tutorial TatapMukaBerpengaruhTerhadapPenguasaanKonsepGeografiMahasiswaPesertaTTMMateri Mata KuliahKonsepDasarIPS, Jakarta, Universitas Terbuka.
â€¢ SudiknoMertokusumo. (1986). MengenalIlmuHukum. Yogyakarta, Liberty.
â€¢ Sumanto.(1990). MetodologiPenelitianSosialdanPendidikan.Yogyakarta.Andi Offset.
â€¢ Suryadibrata, S. (1997), MetodologiPenelitian, Jakarta, Raja GrafindoPersada.
â€¢ Universitas Terbuka. (2013). KatalogUniversitas Terbuka. 2013. Jakarta: Karunika.
â€¢ -----------------------. (2013). KatalogPGSDUniversitas Terbuka 2013. Jakarta: Karunika.
â€¢ Usman, U. M. danSetiawati, L. (1993).UpayaOptimalisasiKegiatanBelajarMengajar. Bandung: RemajaRosdakarya.
â€¢ Wardani, IGAK. (2007). PenelitianTindakanKelas.Jakarta: Universitas Terbuka.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.