Effects of Some Plant Extracts on <i>Aphis gossypii</i> Glover (Hemiptera: Aphididae) and <i>Bemisia tabaci </i>(Gennadius) Takahashi (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae)
Keywords:Aphis gossypii, Bemisia tabaci, plant extract, natural pesticide
The study aimed to investigate the effects of the extracts derived from Satureja hortensis, Ocimum basilicum, Cassia angustifolia, Thevetia peruviana, Schinus molle, Melia azedarach on Aphis gossypii Glover. (Hemiptera: Aphididae), and Bemisia tabaci Genn. (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae), which are major polyphagous pests. For this purpose, the extracts derived by water from these plants, which were dried and ground to fine powder. Then the extracts applied on A. gossypii and B. tabaci reared on cotton plants via a dipping method. Assessments were done according to counts made before application of extracts and at the 1st, 24th, 72nd and 168th HAA. The extract of T. peruviana with 30.69% had the highest effect on A. gossypii at the 1st HAA. The extract of O. basilicum with 40.67% had the highest effect on A. gossypii at the 24th HAA. None of plant extracts had a significant impact on A. gossypii at the 72nd and 168th HAA. The extract of C. angustifolia had the highest effect on B. tabaci with 50.78% at the 1st HAA. The percentage effects of the extract obtained from C. angustifolia on B. tabaci at the 24th and 72nd HAA were 49.50% and 50.97%, respectively. Consequently, the extracts of O. basilicum, C. angustifolia, T. peruviana were determined as hopeful according to results of the present study.
â€¢ ErdoÄŸan, P., â€œProperties of insecticides obtained from Azadirachta indica A. Juss and Melia azedarach L. and effect on pestsâ€, Karaelmas Science and Engineering Journal, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 14-25, 2013.
â€¢ ErdoÄŸan, P., Toros, S., â€œThe effects of Melia azedarach L. extracts on development on larvae of Colorado potato beetle [Leptinotarsa decemlineata Say. (Col.: Chrysomelidae)]â€, Bitki Koruma BÃ¼lteni, vol. 45, no. 1-4, pp. 99-118, 2005.
â€¢ ErdoÄŸan, P. and YÄ±ldÄ±rÄ±m, A., â€œInvestigations on the effects of two different plant extracts on the Green peach aphid [(Myzus (N.) persicae Sulzer) (Hemiptera: Aphididae)]â€, Plant Protection Bulletin, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 33-42, 2013.
â€¢ ErdoÄŸan, P. and YÄ±ldÄ±rÄ±m, A., â€œInvestigations on the effects of Veratrum album L. plant extracts on the green peach aphid [(Myzus (N.) persicae Sulzer) (Hemiptera: Aphididae)]â€, In abstract book of the fifth plant protection congress of Turkey, 3-5 February 2014, Antalya-Turkey, pp. 23, 2014.
â€¢ Hasan, M., Sagheer, M., Farhan, M., Hasan, M.N., Haidri, S.R., Bukhari, M., Gul, H.T., Khan, F.Z.A., â€œRepellent potential of Azadirachta indica A. Juss. and Glycyrrhiza glabra L. against cowpea bruchid, Callosobruchus chinensis L. (Coleoptera: Bruchidae)â€, Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 405-409, 2014.
â€¢ Henderson, C.F., Tilton, E. W., â€œTests with acaricides against the brown wheat miteâ€, Journal of Economic Entomology, vol. 48, no. 157-161, 1955.
â€¢ Jacobson, M., Stokes, J.B., Warthen, J.D., Jr, Redfern, R.E., Reed, D.K., Webb, R.E., Telek, L., â€œNeem research in the U.S. Department of Agriculture: an updateâ€, In Proceedings of the Second International Neem Conference, H. Schmutterer and K.R.S. Ascher (eds), 25-28 May 1984, Rauischholzhausen, Germany, pp. 31-42, 1984.
â€¢ KarakoÃ§, Ã–.C., GÃ¶kÃ§e, A., â€œAntifeedant and stomach poison effects of different plant extracts to Spodoptera littoralis (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae)â€, Journal of Turkish Entomology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 73-80, 2013.
â€¢ Kayahan, G., Ã‡etin, H., â€œToxic and oviposition deterrent effects of some plant extracts and their combination with deltametrin against adults of Callosobruchus maculatus (F.) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae)â€, In abstract book of the fifth plant protection congress of Turkey, 3-5 February 2014, Antalya-Turkey, pp. 55, 2014.
â€¢ Khan, F.Z.A., Sagheer, M., Hasan, M., Saeed, S., Ali, K., Gul, H.T., Bukhari, S.A., Manzoor, S.A., â€œToxicological and repellent potential of some plant extracts against stored product insect pest, Tribolium castaneum (Herbst.) (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae)â€, International Journal of Biosciences, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 280-286, 2013.
â€¢ Madanlar, N., YoldaÅŸ, Z., DurmuÅŸoÄŸlu, E., GÃ¼l, A., Investigations on the natural pesticides against pests in vegetable greenhouses in Izmir (Turkey)â€, Journal of Turkish Entomology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 181-195, 2002.
â€¢ Ã–zger, Åž., Pohl, D., Karaca, Ä°., â€œThe use of neem extracts as bioinsecticideâ€, Turkish Journal of Biological Control, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 165-178, 2013.
â€¢ Ã–zgÃ¼r, F., Agricultural Control Methods and Pesticides, Ã‡ukurova University, Faculty of Agriculture, Course Book, No: 53, ADANA, 1995.
â€¢ Pavela, R., Barnet, M., Kocourek, F., â€œEffect of azadirachtin applied systemically through roots of plants on the mortality, development and fecundity of the cabbage aphid (Brevicoryne brassicae)â€, Phytoparasitica, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 286-294, 2004.
â€¢ Sagheer, M., Hasan, M., Hasan, M.N., Khan, F.Z.A., Rahman, A., â€œRepellent effects of selected medicinal plant extracts against Rust-Red Flour Beetle, Tribolium castaneum (Herbst) (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae)â€, Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 107-110, 2014.
â€¢ Schmutterer, H., â€œSome properties of components of the neem tree (Azadirachta indica) and their use in pest control in developing countriesâ€, Mededelingen Faculteit Landbouwwetenschappen Rijksuniversiteit Gent, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 39-47, 1981.
â€¢ Yanar, D., DÃ¼zdemir, O., â€œEffects of some plant extracts and plant originated pesticides to bean weevil [Acanthoscelides obtectus (Say.)]â€, Research Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 36-40, 2012.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.