Strategy of Empowering Urban Poor Families in Education (Case Study in Ujung Village, Semampir Sub District, Surabaya)
Keywords:Strategies of Empowerment, Education, Rationality
Indonesian government has introduced a School Operational Assistance (BOS) and Poor Students Aid (BSM) program to extend the coverage of education in a poor family. Limitation of BSM program lies in the nature of the program that used cash assistance. Poverty reduction program using cash would only able to help the community on short term basis, and after the money was spent then the community would be back to its pre-condition state. Objective of this study is to examine education empowerment in urban poor families in order to overcome BSM limitation.One educational empowerment models that can be used is an empowerment model done by Indonesian Street Children Organization (ISCO). Program implementation for empowering poor families conducted by the ISCO was an example of empowerment model in education as a solution for Central Governmentâ€™s BSM limitation and act as supplement for CSR programs in education which conducted by State Owned Company and private parties. This study was a qualitative study using case study method. This study was done at Ujung village, Semampir sub-district, Surabaya city. This study used Rational Choice Theory of Coleman to analyze participation of adults from poor families in ISCO empowerment program. Result of this study suggest that refinement and evaluation were required from implementation of ISCOâ€™s empowerment program. ISCOâ€™s empowerment program in education could overome BSM limitation and act as supplement for CSR program in education which conduct by state owned company and private parties.
Professorpinch, Dee. 2014. The Implementation of The Policy of Poverty Reduction. Four Of The Nine Foundation Indonesia. Jakarta.
Todaro, M., & Smith, S. 2003. Economic development in the third world. Translations by Haris Munandar. 8.4th Edition. Publisher Eason. Jakarta
Balisacan,Arsenio M, Ernesto M. Pernia and Abuzar Asra. 2002. "Revisiting the Growth and Poverty Reduction in Indonesia: What Do the Data Show? Subnational." The Asian Development Bank. (25): 1-32.
World Bank. 2013. the Education Data. Jakarta. Retrieved April 15, 2015. From http://data.worldbank.org/topic/education.
Ustama, Dicky Djatnika. 2009. "The Role of Education in Poverty Reduction". Journal of the science of Public Administration and policy (JIAKP). Vol. 6. (1): 1-12.
Febriany, Asep Suryahadi and Vita. 2012. Lesson form Cash Transfer Programs in Indonesia. East Asia Forum. Retrieved on February 29, 2015. From: http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2012/07/21/lessons-from-cash-transfer-programs-in-indonesia/.
Goode, William J. 1985. Sociology of the Family. Translations by Lailahanoum Hashim. Edition 1. Bina Script. Jakarta.
Van der Berg, Servaas. 2008. Poverty and Education. The International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) and the International Academy of Education (IAE).
ISCO. 2014. About ISCO. Jakarta. Accessed on April 8, 2014. From https://iscofoundation.wordpress.com/.
Coleman, James S & Thomas J. Fararo. 1992. Rational Choice Theory : Advocacy and Critique. SAGE Publications. California.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.