Effect of Current Density on Crystallographic Orientation, and Oxidation Behavior of Copper Plated on Aluminum Substrate
Keywords:Electroplating, Copper, Aluminum, Copper sulfate bath
In this work, the electroplating of copper on an aluminum substrate without electrochemical surface treatment was investigated. Electroplating of copper on aluminum substrate was prepared from copper sulfate electrolyte bath with various current densities 1 mA/cm², 3 mA/cm², 10 mA/cm², and 40 mA/cm². The effects of current density on the samples properties were characterized using a different technique. The surface morphology, crystallographic orientation, and corrosion resistance of the Copper film were analyzed using a scanning electron microscope, energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM-EDS), X-ray diffractometer (XRD), and potentiostat. The samples' surface morphology is changed with different current densities because nucleation is driven by transferring the copper ion rate onto the aluminum substrate. The Cu-10 sample exhibits (111) peak higher and the best corrosion resistance than other samples. Moreover, Cu-1 samples have shifted to positive corrosion voltage (Ecorr) than the other samples.
A. Augustin, K. Udaya Bhat, K. R. Udupa, and A. C. Hegde, “Electron Microscopic Study of Nodules formed during Electrodeposition of Copper on Aluminium,” vol. 2, pp. 371–374, 2015.
F. Budhi Susetyo, E. M. H. Situmorang, S. Luthfiya, and B. Soegijono, “Copper Electrodeposition onto Aluminum from a Copper Acid Baths in the Presence of Poly Ethylene Glycol (PEG),” MATEC Web Conf., vol. 218, pp. 0–4, 2018.
M. Proust, F. Judong, J. M. Gilet, L. Liauzu, and R. Madar, “CVD and PVD copper integration for dual damascene metallization in a 0.18 μm process,” Microelectron. Eng., vol. 55, no. 1–4, pp. 269–275, 2001.
H. Matsushima, A. Bund, W. Plieth, S. Kikuchi, and Y. Fukunaka, “Copper electrodeposition in a magnetic field,” Electrochim. Acta, vol. 53, pp. 161–166, 2007.
C. H. Seah, S. Mridha, and L. H. Chan, “DC/pulse plating of copper for trench/via filling,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 233–239, 2001.
J. Lu, M. Wang, X. Deng, J. Yan, J. Yun, and S. Jiao, “Evaluation of K3Fe(CN)6 on Deposition Behavior and Structure of Electroless Copper Plating,” Electrochemistry, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 214–219, 2019.
M. Galindo, P. Sebastián, P. Cojocaru, and E. Gómez, “Electrodeposition of aluminium from hydrophobic per fl uoro-3-oxa-4 , 5 dichloro-pentan-sulphonate based ionic liquids,” J. Electroanal. Chem., vol. 820, no. January, pp. 41–50, 2018.
N. Ciacotich, R. U. Din, J. J. Sloth, P. Møller, and L. Gram, “An electroplated copper–silver alloy as antibacterial coating on stainless steel,” Surf. Coatings Technol., vol. 345, no. April, pp. 96–104, 2018.
R. SEKAR, “Synergistic effect of additives on electrodeposition of copper from cyanide-free electrolytes and its structural and morphological characteristics,” Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China (English Ed., vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1665–1676, 2017.
C. D. Gu, Y. H. You, X. L. Wang, and J. P. Tu, “Electrodeposition, structural, and corrosion properties of Cu films from a stable deep eutectics system with additive of ethylene diamine,” Surf. Coatings Technol., vol. 209, pp. 117–123, 2012.
C. Gabrielli, P. Moçotéguy, H. Perrot, and R. Wiart, “Mechanism of copper deposition in a sulphate bath containing chlorides,” J. Electroanal. Chem., vol. 572, no. 2, pp. 367–375, 2004.
S. S. Abd El Rehim, S. M. Sayyah, and M. M. El Deeb, “Electroplating of copper films on steel substrates from acidic gluconate baths,” Appl. Surf. Sci., vol. 165, no. 4, pp. 249–254, 2000.
R. SEAKR, “Microstructure and crystallographic characteristics of nanocrystalline copper prepared from acetate solutions by electrodeposition technique,” Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China (English Ed., vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1423–1430, 2017.
S. Genna, A. Simoncini, V. Tagliaferri, and N. Ucciardello, “Optimization of the Sandblasting Process for a Better Electrodeposition of Copper Thin Films on Aluminum Substrate by Feedforward Neural Network,” Procedia CIRP, vol. 62, pp. 435–439, 2017.
M. Kanungo, V. Chakravarty, K. G. Mishra, and S. C. Das, “Influence of perchloric acid on the kinetics of immersion plating of copper onto aluminium,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2001.
J. H. Ai, S. P. Liu, N. A. Widharta, S. Adhikari, J. W. Anderegg, and K. R. Hebert, “Copper layers deposited on aluminum by galvanic displacement,” J. Phys. Chem. C, vol. 115, no. 45, pp. 22354–22359, 2011.
A. Augustin, P. Huilgol, K. R. Udupa, and U. Bhat K, “Effect of current density during electrodeposition on microstructure and hardness of textured Cu coating in the application of antimicrobial Al touch surface,” J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater., vol. 63, pp. 352–360, 2016.
W. Dong, J. Zhang, J. Zheng, and J. Sheng, “Self-annealing of electrodeposited copper thin film during room temperature storage,” Mater. Lett., vol. 62, no. 10–11, pp. 1589–1591, 2008.
N. Sallee, M. Cromer, and O. Vittori, “Electroplating of Copper on Aluminium with Direct and Pulsed Currents Electroplating of Copper on Aluminium,” Can. Metall. Q., vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 155–162, 1994.
D. Grujicic and B. Pesic, “Electrodeposition of copper: The nucleation mechanisms,” Electrochim. Acta, vol. 47, no. 18, pp. 2901–2912, 2002.
Z. Z. Tasic, M. M. Antonijevic, M. B. Petrovic Mihajlovic, and M. B. Radovanovic, “The influence of synergistic effects of 5-methyl-1H-benzotriazole and potassium sorbate as well as 5-methyl-1H-benzotriazole and gelatin on the copper corrosion in sulphuric acid solution,” J. Mol. Liq., vol. 219, pp. 463–473, 2016.
M. B. Radovanović and M. M. Antonijević, “Protection of copper surface in acidic chloride solution by non-toxic thiadiazole derivative,” J. Adhes. Sci. Technol., vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 369–387, 2017.
S. C. B. Gopinath et al., “Photovoltaic and Antimicrobial Potentials of Electrodeposited Copper Nanoparticle,” Biochem. Eng. J., vol. 142, no. September 2018, pp. 97–104, 2018.
J. A. Khamaj, “Comparison of Potentiodynamic Polarization and Weight Loss Measurement Techniques in the Study of Corrosion Behavior of 6061 Al/SiC Composite in 3.5 M NaCl Solution,” Asian J. Appl. Sci., vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 264–270, 2015.
B. Soegijono, F. B. Susetyo, H. A. Notonegoro, and M. C. Fajrah, “Electrochemical Behavior, Structure, and Morphology of Electrodeposited Nickel on Copper Alloy Prepared from Sulfate Bath without Additive Addition,” Flywheel, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 6–12, 2020.
D. Wang, B. Xiang, Y. Liang, S. Song, and C. Liu, “Corrosion control of copper in 3.5 wt.% NaCl Solution by Domperidone: Experimental and Theoretical Study,” Corros. Sci., vol. 85, pp. 77–86, 2014.
F. M. Al Kharafi, I. M. Ghayad, and R. M. Adallah, “Sulfide induced intergranular corrosion of copper in salt water containing benzotriazole,” e-Journal Surf. Sci. Nanotechnol., vol. 9, no. August, pp. 306–310, 2011.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Bambang Soegijono, Ferry Budhi Susetyo, Evi U. M. Situmorang, Yusmaniar
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.