Variation of the Chemical and Physical Parameters of the Groundwater in Central Thessaly (Trikala; Greece) as a Function of Geographical Areas and Season Periods in the Last Four Years
Keywords:water, Greece, Thessaly, nitrate, nitrite
â€” In the present study the groundwater quality was assessed on the basis of physical and chemical analysis [(electric conductivity, pH, nitrate (NO3âˆ’), nitrite (NO2âˆ’), ammonium (NH4+)] for the period 2009â€“2012. The study included two samplings at two different regions (flat and semi-mountainous) during summer and autumn for each year. In addition, a detailed quantitative study between each year, the different season period and geographical region was performed by comparing the nitrate concentrations, the electric conductivity and the pH values. From this detailed analysis of the results, a general outcome is that there are significant differences on the quality of water among the sample areas studied.
. Anderson C. Cholera epidemic traced to risk miscalculation. Nature 1991, 354, 255
. NygÃ¥rd K., Wahl E., Krogh T., Tveit O.A., BÃ¸hleng E., Tverdal A., Aavitsland P. Breaks and maintenance work in the water distribution systems and gastrointestinal illness: a cohort study. Int. J. Epidemiol. 2007, 36, 873
. Soller J.A., Schoen M.E., Bartrand T., Ravenscroft J.E., Ashbolt N.J. Estimated human health risks from exposure to recreational waters impacted by human and non-human sources of faecal contamination. Water Research 2010, 44, 4674
. PrÃ¼ss A. Review of epidemiological studies on health effects from exposure to recreational water. Int. J. Epidemiol. 1998, 27, 1
. Ricart M., Guasch H., BarcelÃ³ D., Brix R., ConceiÃ§Ã£o M.H., Geiszinger A., de Alda M.J.L., LÃ³pez-Doval J.C., MuÃ±oz I., Postigo C., RomanÃ A.M., Villagrasa M., Sabater S. Primary and complex stressors in polluted mediterranean rivers: Pesticide effects on biological communities. J. Hydrol. 2010, 383, 52
. Fan A.M, Steinberg V.E. Health implications of nitrate and nitrite in drinking water: an update on methemoglobinemia occurrence and reproductive and developmental toxicity. Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 1996, 23, 35
. EU. Ofï¬cial Journal of the European Union. Directive 2006/118/EC of the European Parliament and of the council of 12 December on the protection of groundwater against pollution and deterioration. 2006, 372/19-372/31
. Papaioannou A., Plageras P., Dovriki E., Minas A., Krikelis V., Nastos P.T., Kakavas K., Paliatsos A.G. Groundwater quality and location of productive activities in the region of Thessaly (Greece). Desalination 2007, 213, 209
. Karkanias A. Industrial pollution in Thessalyâ€“protection measures, Proc. 1st Panhellen, Symposium of Chemistry, Athens, Greece, 1987.
. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 21st Edition by APHA â€“ AWWA - WEF 2005
. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 18th Edition by APHA â€“ AWWA - WEF 1992
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.