Crop Coefficients of Winter Wheat under South Serbia Conditions
Keywords:Winter Wheat, Crop Coefficient, Potential Evapotranspiration, Irrigation
Field trials with irrigation of winter wheat have been set in the river valley of Southern Morava, near NiÅ¡, at the alluvium soil type, in the period 2009-2011. Irrigation was carried out by sprinkler irrigation method, and its term was determined by observing dynamics of soil moisture down to 60 cm of depth. Considering both investigated years, the highest grain yield of winter wheat was reached at the irrigated variant with pre-irrigation soil moisture 70% of FWC (8678 kg ha-1 and 9180 kg ha-1), and for that reason the observed values of ET at this variant from 381.1 to 393.1 mm represent potential evapotranspiration (PET) or CWR of winter wheat for the conditions of southern Serbia. The values of Kc ini (0.53), Kc mid (1.10) and Kc end (0.28) obtained by our experimental study are different from those developed for other areas. The development of regionally based Kc exceptionally helps in irrigation management and gives precise application of water in these areas.
Allen, R. G., Pereira, L. S., Raes, D., Smith, M., â€œCrop Evapotranspirationâ€”Guidelines for Computing Crop Water Requirementsâ€, Irrigation and Drainage, Paper No. 56. FAO, Rome, Italy. pp 300, 1998.
Annandale J.G., Stockle, C.O., â€œFluctuation of crop evapotranspiration coefficients with weather. A sensitivity analysisâ€, Irrigation Science, 15, 1â€“7, 1994.
Balwinder-Singh, Eberbach P.L, Humphreys E., Kukal, S.S., â€œThe effect of rice straw mulch on evapotranspiration, transpiration, and soil evaporation on irrigated wheat in Punjab, Indiaâ€. Agricultural Water Management, 98(12), 1847-1855, 2011.
BoÅ¡njak, Ä., â€œNavodnjavanje poljoprivrednih usevaâ€. Poljoprivredni fakultet, Novi Sad, 181-186, 1999.
Bruce J.A., â€œDoes transpiration control stomatal responses to water vapour pressure deficitâ€, Plant Cell Environ., 20, 136â€“141, 1997.
Cavazza L., â€œValutazione dellâ€™evapotraspirazione delle colture. Evapotraspirazione: chiarimenti concettuali preliminaryâ€, In: Proceedings of the Meeting â€œIrrigazione e Ricercaâ€, pp. 97â€“102, 1991.
ConceiÃ§Ã£o, N., PaÃ§o, T., Silva, A., Ferreira, M., â€œCrop coefficients for a pear orchard (Pyrus communis L.) obtained using eddy covarianceâ€. Acta Horticulturae 792:187-192, 2008.
Cornic G., Massassi, A., â€œLeaf photosynthesis under drought stressâ€, In: Baker, N.R. (Ed.), Photosynthesis and the Environment. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 1996.
Doorenbos, J., Kassam, A.H., â€œYield response to waterâ€. FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper No. 33, FAO, Rome, Italy. 193 pp, 1979.
Doorenbos, J., Pruitt, W. O., â€œCrop water requirementsâ€. Irrigation and Drainage Paper No. 24, FAO, Rome, Italy. 144 p, 1977
Doorenbos, J., Pruitt, W. O., â€œGuidelines for Predicting Crop Water Requirementsâ€. Irrigation and Drainage, Paper 24 FAO of UN, Rome, Italy, 1984.
GarcÃa Petillo, M., Castel, J., â€œWater balance and crop coefficient estimation of a citrus orchard in Uruguayâ€. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research 5:232-243, 2007.
Haijun, L., Lipeng, Y., Yu, L., Xiangping, W., Guanhua, H., â€œResponses of winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) evapotranspiration and yield to sprinkler irrigation regimes. Agricultural Water Management 98:483-492, 2011.
JaÄ‡imoviÄ‡, G., â€œOptimiranje mineralne ishrane pÅ¡enice u zavisnosti od vremenskih uslova godineâ€. Doktorska disertacija, Univerzitet u Novom Sadu, Poljoprivredni fakultet, Novi Sad, Srbija, 2012.
Kang, S., Gu, B., Du, T., Zhang, J., â€œCrop coefficient and ratio of transpiration to evapotranspiration of winter wheat and maize in a semi-humid regionâ€. Agricultural Water Management, 59, (3), 239â€“254, 2003.
Ko J., G. Piccinni, T. Marek, T. Howell, â€œDetermination of growth-stage-specific cropcoefficients (Kc) of cotton and wheatâ€œ Agricultural Water Management, 96, 1691-1697, 2009.
Liu, C., Zhang, X., Zhang, Y., â€œDetermination of daily evaporation and evapotranspiration of winter wheat and maize by large-scale weighing lysimeter and micro-lysimeterâ€. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 111, (2), 109â€“120, 2002.
Luchiari, A.J.R., Riha, S.J., Gomide, R.L., â€œEnergy Balance in Irrigated Wheat in the Cerrados Region of Central Brazilâ€. Scientia Agricola, Piracicaba, 54, 78-88, 1997.
PaÃ§o, T., ConceiÃ§Ã£o, N., Ferreira, M., â€œMeasurements and estimates of peach orchard evapotranspiration in Mediterranean conditionsâ€. Acta Horticulturae 664:505-512, 2004.
Piccinni G., Ko, J., Marek, T., Howell T., â€œDetermination of growth-stage-specific crop coefficients (Kc) of maize and sorghumâ€, Agricultural Water Management, 96, 1698-1704, 2009.
Pruitt, W.O., â€œTraditional methods 'Evapotranspiration research priorities for the next decadeâ€. ASAE Paper No. 86-2629. 23 p, 1986.
Republic Hydrometeorological Servis of Serbia, â€œMeteoroloÅ¡ki godiÅ¡njaci â€“ klimatoloÅ¡ki podaciâ€. Available at http://www.hidmet.gov.rs/ciril/meteorologija/klimatologija_godisnjaci.php. (accessed April 2015).
Savva, A.P., Frenken, A.,â€œCrop Water Requirements and Irrigation Schedulingâ€ FAO, Harare, pp 122, 2002.
Snyder, R.L., Lanini, B.J., Shaw, D.A., Pruitt, W.O., â€œUsing reference evapotranspiration (ETo) and crop coefficients to estimate crop evapotranspiration (ETc) for agronomic crops, grasses, and vegetable cropsâ€. Cooperative Extension, Univ. California, Berkeley, CA, Leaflet No. 21427, 12 p, 1989.
Tarantino E., Onofrii, M., â€œDeterminazione dei coefficienti colturali mediante lisimetriâ€. Bonifica, 7, 119â€“136, 1991.
VuÄiÄ‡, N., â€œNavodnjavanje poljoprivrednih kulturaâ€. Poljoprivredni fakultet, Novi Sad, 223-232, 1976.
Wright, J.L., â€œNew evapotranspiration crop coefficientsâ€. Journal Irrigation and Drainage Div., ASCE, 108(IR2): 57-74, 1982.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.