The Effect Of Ethical Climate On Employee Satisfaction In 5-Star Hotel Managements: A Field Study In Gaziantep
Keywords:Hotel Management, Ethical Climate, Employee Satisfaction
The ethical climate in hotel management plays an important role in forming a regular competition structuring. Hotel managements need to understand employeesâ€™ perception of organizational climate in order to understand the management problems and find solutions to them. Understanding the climate in an organization is an important stage in examining the management process. One of the most important factors in customer satisfaction in hotel managements is the level of employee satisfaction. Therefore, determining the ethical climate and employee satisfaction in hotels will act as a guide for managers in their management methods.
In this study, the relationship between organizational ethical climate and employee satisfaction (satisfaction in work environment) was examined. For this purpose, 180 people from 6 different hotels in Gaziantep were studied. As a data collection tool questionnaire was used and data was analyzed through SPSS. As a result of the study, certain relationship between organizational ethic climate and employee satisfaction was revealed.
â€¢ AkÄ±n, M. (1998). â€œÄ°ÅŸletmelerde Ã‡atÄ±ÅŸma YÃ¶netiminde Ä°letiÅŸimin Yeri ve Ã–nemiâ€. YÃ¼ksek Lisans Tezi,Erciyes Ãœniversitesi, Kayseri.
â€¢ Bakan, Ä°. ve BÃ¼yÃ¼kbeÅŸe, T. (2004). Ã–rgÃ¼tsel Ä°letiÅŸim ile Ä°ÅŸ Tatmini UnsurlarÄ± ArasÄ±ndaki Ä°liÅŸkiler: Akademik Ã–rgÃ¼tler Ä°Ã§in Bir Alan AraÅŸtÄ±rmasÄ±.Akdeniz Ä°.Ä°.B.F. Dergisi. 7, 1-30.
â€¢ BarutÃ§ugil, Ä°. (1984). Turizm Ä°ÅŸletmeciliÄŸi. 3. BaskÄ±, Beta BasÄ±m.
â€¢ Bartels, K, K.,HarrÄ±ck, E, M, Kathryn, S, D, (1998), â€œTheRelationshipBetweenEthicalClimateandEthicalProblemswithin Human Resource Managementâ€, Journal of Business Ethics.17(7), 799-804.
â€¢ Bayram, N. (2004). Sosyal Bilimlerde SPSS ile Veri Analizi. Ezgi kitabevi: Bursa.
â€¢ BiÃ§er, M. (2005). â€œSatÄ±ÅŸ ElemanlarÄ±nÄ±n Ä°ÅŸ Tatmini, Ã–rgÃ¼t BaÄŸlÄ±lÄ±ÄŸÄ± ve Ä°ÅŸten AyrÄ±lma Niyetinin Etik Ä°klim Ä°le Ä°liÅŸkisi: Sigorta ve Ä°laÃ§ SektÃ¶rlerinde Bir AraÅŸtÄ±rmaâ€, BasÄ±lmamÄ±ÅŸYÃ¼ksek Lisans Tezi, Ã‡ukurova Ãœniversitesi, Adana.
â€¢ Buchholz, R,A. andSandra, B.(1998).Business Ethics.PrenticeHall: UpperSaddleRiver.
â€¢ Callan, R J. (1997).â€The Critical IncidentTecnique in HospitalityResearch: An Illustrationfromthe UK LodgeSectorâ€, TourismManagement, 19 (1): 93-98.
â€¢ Cullen, J,B.,VÄ±ctor, B, Stephens, C,. (1989). â€œAn EthicalWeather Report: AssessingtheOrganizationâ€™sEthicalClimateâ€, Organizational Dynamics. 18(2): 50-62.
â€¢ DÄ±ckson, M, W.,SmÄ±th, B, D., Grojean, M, W., Ehrhart, M,. (2001). â€œAn OrganizationalClimateRegardingEthics: TheOutcome of LeaderValuesandthePracticesThatReflectThemâ€,TheLeadershipQuarterly, 12, 197-217.
â€¢ Ã‡Ä±kmaz, E. (2013). â€œOtel Ä°ÅŸletmelerinde Ã‡alÄ±ÅŸan Personelin Sahip OlduÄŸu Ä°letiÅŸim Becerisinin YÃ¼ksekÃ¶ÄŸretim Mezunu MÃ¼ÅŸteriler TarafÄ±ndan DeÄŸerlendirilmesine YÃ¶nelik Gaziantepâ€™te Bir Uygulamaâ€, YÃ¼ksek Lisans Tezi, Hasan Kalyoncu Ãœniversitesi: Gaziantep.
â€¢ DoÄŸan, S. (2005).Ã‡alÄ±ÅŸan Ä°liÅŸkileri YÃ¶netimi.Kare YayÄ±nlarÄ±: Ä°stanbul.
â€¢ DoÄŸan, S. ve KarataÅŸ, A. (2011).â€Ã–rgÃ¼tsel EtiÄŸin Ã‡alÄ±ÅŸan Memnuniyetine Etkisi Ãœzerine Bir AraÅŸtÄ±rmaâ€, Erciyes Ãœniversitesi Ä°ktisadi ve Ä°dari Bilimler FakÃ¼ltesi Dergisi, 37, 1-40.
â€¢ Farrell, A. M.,Souchon, A.L. andGeoffrey R. (2001). â€œService EncounterConceptualisation: Employeesâ€™ Service BehavioursandCustomersâ€™ Service QualityPerceptionsâ€™â€, Journal of Marketing Management. 17 (5): 577-593.
â€¢ Fowdar, R. (2007). â€œDeveloping Service QualityQuestionnaireforthe Hotel Industry in Mauritiusâ€, Journal of VacationMarketing. 13 (1): 19-27.
â€¢ GÃ¼l, H. ve GÃ¶kÃ§e, H. (2008). â€œÃ–rgÃ¼tsel Etik ve BileÅŸenleriâ€,SÃ¼leyman Demirel Ãœniversitesi Ä°ktisadi ve Ä°dari Bilimler FakÃ¼ltesi Dergisi, 13, 377-389.
â€¢ Heung, V.C.S.and Lam, T. (2003). â€œCustomerComplaintBehaviorTowardsHotel Restaurant Servicesâ€. International Journal of ContemporaryHospitality Management. 15(5): 283â€“289.
â€¢ Ä°kiz, A.K. andMasoudi,A. (2008).â€Approachto Hotel Service Designâ€Ä°ÅŸletme FakÃ¼ltesi Dergisi. 9(1): 17-31.
â€¢ Karabey, C. ve KarcÄ±oÄŸlu, F. (2008).â€YÃ¶neticilerin Ä°letiÅŸim TarzÄ± ile Ã‡alÄ±ÅŸanlarÄ±n Ä°ÅŸ PerformansÄ±, Ä°ÅŸ Tatmini ve Rol BelirsizliÄŸi ArasÄ±nda Ä°liÅŸkiâ€,EskiÅŸehir Osmangazi Ãœniversitesi, Ä°Ä°BF Dergisi. 3(2): 25-42.
â€¢ Karalar, R,.vediÄŸ.(2001).Genel Ä°ÅŸletme.EskiÅŸehir: Anadolu Ãœniversitesi YayÄ±nlarÄ±.
â€¢ Lemmergaard, J. andLaurÄ±dsen, J,. (2008). â€œTheEthicalClimate of DanishFirms: A Discussionand Enhancement of theEthical-Climate Modelâ€, Journal of Business Ethics, 80, 653-675.
â€¢ Merton, R, K., (1968).SocialTheoryandSocialStructure, GeniÅŸletilmiÅŸ BaskÄ±, CollierMacmillanPublishers: London.
â€¢ Mitchell, C, (2003).A Short Course in International Business Ethics: CombiningEthicsandProfits in Busines. Novato, California:World TradePress.
â€¢ OlalÄ±, H., ve Korzay, M. (2004).Otel Ä°ÅŸletmeciliÄŸi.Beta BasÄ±m YayÄ±mcÄ±lÄ±k.
â€¢ Ã–zkul, E. (2007). â€œMÃ¼ÅŸteri Ä°liÅŸkileri YÃ¶netiminin Otel Ä°ÅŸletmelerinde UygulanabilirliÄŸine Ä°liÅŸkin Bir DeÄŸerlendirmeâ€, Seyahat ve Otel Ä°ÅŸletmeciliÄŸi Dergisi. 4 (1): 16.
â€¢ Post, J,E.,FrederÄ±ck, W,C., Lawrence, A, T.,Weber, J,. (1996).Business andSociety: CorporateStrategy, PublicPolicy, Ethics. 7. BasÄ±m, McGrawHill, Inc., International Edition.
â€¢ Roman,S,.(2003).Journal of Marketing Management TheImpact of Ethical SalesBehaviour on CustomerSatisfaction, TrustandLoyaltytotheCompany: An EmpiricalStudy in the Financial Services Industry. 19 (9).
â€¢ Pieper, A. (1999). EtiÄŸe GiriÅŸ.( V, Atayman ve G, Sezer, Ã‡ev.). Ä°stanbul: AyrÄ±ntÄ± YayÄ±nlarÄ±.
â€¢ Riley, M. (1991). â€œA Guide to Personel Practice in The Hotel andCataringIndustryâ€, Human ResourseManagment, Butterworth-HeinemamLtd.,Oxford.
â€¢ SchmÄ±nke, M, Arnaud, A, KuenzÄ±, M,.(2007). â€œThePower of EthicalClimatesâ€, Organizational Dynamics. 36(2), 171-186.
â€¢ Schwepker, C.H. (2001). â€œEthicalClimateâ€™sRelationshipToJobSatisfaction, OrganizationalCommitment, AndTurnoverÄ°ntention Ä°n TheSalesforceâ€. JournalOf Business Research, 54, 39â€“ 52.
â€¢ Sigala, M. (2003.) â€œTheÄ°nformationAndCommunication Technologies Productivity Ä°mpact On TheUK Hotel Sectorâ€, International JournalOf Operations &Production Management. 23 (10): 1224 â€“ 1245.
â€¢ ÅžimÅŸek, M.Åž.,Akgemci, T ve Ã‡elik, A. (2003).DavranÄ±ÅŸ Bilimlerine GiriÅŸ ve Ã–rgÃ¼tlerde DavranÄ±ÅŸ, Konya: AdÄ±m MatbaacÄ±lÄ±k veOfset.
â€¢ VardÄ±, Y.,andWeÄ±tz, E,. (2004).â€œMisbehavior in Organizationsâ€, Theory, Researchand Management, Lawrence ErlbaumAssociatesPublishers, New Jersey.
â€¢ VÄ±ctor, B. andCullen, B,J. (1988). â€œTheOrganizationalBasis of EthicalWorkClimatesâ€, AdministrativeScienceQuarterly, 33, 101-125.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under aÂ Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.