The Comprehension of Differences between Simple and Complex Words in 7 to 12-year-old Persian Speaking Children
Keywords:morphology, word formation, simple, derived, compound
The aim of this paper is to study the comprehension of the differences between two groups of words in language; i.e. simple and complex words from the point of the 7 to 12-year-old Persian speaking children. The method of the research is descriptive- analytic and for collecting data, the documentary resources and the course book of elementary students â€œBekhanimâ€ have been used. The comprehensive results of this research show that children, in all cases, separate the meaningful units to recognize and comprehend the simple and complex words and they utilize surface structure of the words. Some factors such as 1. space or lack of space, 2. meaningfulness and the independence of each word in a compound, and 3. remaining meaningful or becoming meaningless, when children separate one part of a word, help them recognize the structure of the words. To sum up, children consider a base form for certain words which absolutely is the simple form of each word and accordingly they make complex words or compounds.
. Azari Najaf Abad, Allahverdi,Jïï¤ï‚Šï©ï²ï©ïªï¥Zï¡ï¢ïï®ï€ ï¶ï¡Rï¯ï“ï¤ï€ ï¥Vïï¤ïšï¥ï‚Šïï®ï€ ï¥Cïµï¤ï¡ï£(Jï¡ï¨ïï¤ Dïï®ï¥ï“ï‚Šïï¨ï© Mï¡ï²ï£ï¡ïº), Iran,1985
. Research and Educational Programming Organization, Fïï²ï³ï© Bï¥ï˜ïï®ï©ï, First Grade of Elementary School, Iran,2014
. Research and Educational Programming Organization, Fïï²ï³ï©ï€¬ Mï¡ï¨ïï²ï¡ï´ï¨ïï€ ïªï¥ï€ ï˜ïï®ï¤ïï²ï©, Second Grade of Elementary School,2014
. Research and Educational Programming Organization, Fïï²ï³ï©, Mï¡ï¨ïï²ï¡ï´ï¨ïï€ ïªï¥ï€ ï˜ïï®ï¤ïï²ï©, Third Grade of Elementary School, Iran,2014
. Research and Educational Programming Organization, Fïï²ï³ï©Bï¥ï˜ïï®ï©ï, FourthGrade of Elementary School, Iran,2014
. Research and Educational Programming Organization, Fïï²ï³ï© Bï¥ï˜ïï®ï©ï, FifthGrade of Elementary School, Iran,2014
. Research and Educational Programming Organization, Fïï²ï³ï©, Mï¡ï¨ïï²ï¡ï´ï¨ïï€ ïªï¥ï€ ï˜ïï®ï¤ïï²ï©, SixthGrade of Elementary School, Iran,2014
. SeyyediNoghabi, Seyyed Ahmad, â€œLanguage Learning and Lexicon Development in Persian Speaking Childrenâ€,MA thesis ofLinguistics, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad,1998
. Shaghaghi, Vida, An Introduction to Morphology(SAMT),Iran,2012
. Kambuzia.K.Z, Aliyeh, â€œThe study of compound noun and adjective in Modern Persianâ€ MA thesis of Language and Literature Faculty, TarbiatModares University, Iran,1994
. Kalbasi, Iran, The Derivational Structure of Word in Modern Persian(Cultural Studies and researches, Pajuheshgah), Iran, 1992
. Kiamanesh, Maryam, â€œAcquiring Morphology in Pre-elementary School Childrenâ€, MA thesis of Linguistics, Literature and Foreign Languages Faculty, AllameTabatabai University, Iran,2010
. Aronoff,Mark, andFudeman,Kirsten, What is Morphology?(Blackwell), USA,2005
. Haspelmath, Martin, and Sims, Andrea D, Understanding Morphology(Hodder Education), London,2010
. Katamba, Francis, andStonham, John,Morphology(Palgrave Macmillan), New York,2006
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.