Investigating into the Patterns of Usage and Nature of Pronunciation of Some Consonant Grapheme Clusters in Bengali
Keywords:consonant, cluster, grapheme, pronunciation, Bengali, usage patterns, allographs
In this paper I have made an attempt to describe the surface forms, usage patterns, and pronunciation variations of some Bengali consonant grapheme clusters, which are found as great stumbling blocks in language learning, optical character recognition, text-to-speech conversion, speech synthesis, and language processing. To make this study authentic, I have used a moderately large lexical database obtained from a written corpus of modern Bengali prose texts.Â I have tried to study how these consonant grapheme clusters are orthographically designed by way of combining consonant graphemes and consonant graphic variants; how these clusters are utilized in formation of words; and how these clusters are actually pronounced within words in standard Bengali speech. I have also tried to discuss how the pronunciation of individual consonant graphemes is largely affected when these characters are combined in formation of clusters; and how the pronunciation of these clusters, that are controlled by various phonological rules and processes that operate in standard Bengali speech, leave notable marks on orthographic representation of words in written texts.
â€¢ Ansari, Sakhawat. â€œdhvani, bÄgdhvani, dhvanibijÃ±Än: eká¹i paryÄlocanÄ (phones, phonemes, phonetics: an analysis)â€. Journal of the Institute of Modern Languages (Dhaka, Bangladesh), vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 22-46, 1999.
â€¢ Bhattacharya, Gauri Shankar, Svar o bÄkriti (voice and patterns of speech). Kolkata: Sahityalok, 2006.
â€¢ Bhattacharya, Subhas, BÄá¹…glÄ ucchÄraá¹‡ abhidhÄn (Bengali Pronunciation Dictionary). Kolkata: Sahitya Sansad, 1992.
â€¢ Bhattacharya, Subhas, BÄá¹…gÄlir BhÄá¹£Ä (The language of the Bengali people). Kolkata: Ananda Publishers, 2000.
â€¢ Biswas, Naren, â€œBÄá¹…glÄ bÄnÄn o ucchÄraá¹‡: samasyÄ o samÄdhÄner upÄy (Bengali spelling and pronunciation: problems and ways for solution)â€, BÄá¹…glÄbhÄá¹£Ä mÄtá¹›bhÄá¹£Ä: AikatÄn Gabeá¹£anÄpatra, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 79-86, 2005.
â€¢ Chakrabarti, Shailen, Natun bÄá¹…glÄ bÄnÄn abhidhÄn (New Bengali spelling dictionary). Kolkata: Deb Sahitya Kutir, 2008.
â€¢ Chattopadhyay Suniti Kumar, BÄá¹…gÄlÄ bhÄá¹£Ätattver bhumikÄ (Introduction to Bengali Linguistics). Kolkata: Calcutta University Press, 1974.
â€¢ Dan, Mina, â€œSaÃ±janani dvanisannibeÅ› o bÄá¹…glÄ ardhasvar [y] (generative phonotactics and Bengali semivowel â€˜yâ€™)â€, Sahitya Parisat Patrika, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 34-50, 2006.
â€¢ Dan, Mina, â€œMid-front semivowels in Bangla: a case study at the phonology-morphology interfaceâ€. In, Dash, Niladri Sekhar, Probal Dasgupta and Pabitra Sarkar (Eds.) Rainbow of Linguistics. Vol.-I. Kolkata: T. Media Publications, pp. 117-128, 2007.
â€¢ Dash, Niladri Sekhar, Corpus-Based Computational Analysis of the Bangla Language. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, 2001.
â€¢ Dash, Niladri Sekhar, â€œMethods in madness of Bengali spelling: a corpus-based empirical investigationâ€. South Asian Language Review, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 63-92, 2005.
â€¢ Dash, Niladri Sekhar, BahurÅ«pÄ« bÄá¹…glÄ bÄnÄn (multifaceted Bengali spelling). Kolkata: Dakshabharati. 2006.
â€¢ Dash, Niladri Sekhar, â€œFrequency-based analysis of words and morphemes in Bengali text corpusâ€. Indian Journal of Linguistics, vol. 25, no. 26, pp. 223-253, 2007.
â€¢ Hai, Abdul, DhanibijÃ±Än o bÄá¹…glÄ dhvanitattva (Phonetics and Bengali Phonology). 4th Reprint. Dhaka: Mullick Brothers, 1985.
â€¢ Haldar, Narayan, BÄá¹…glÄ bhÄá¹£Ä prasaá¹…ga: bÄnÄn kathan likhanrÄ«ti (in the context of Bengali language: spelling, speech and writing system). Madanpur, Nadia: Shankari Prakashan, 2007.
â€¢ Haque, A.F.M Daniul, â€œBÄá¹…gÄlir bÄá¹…glÄ ucchÄraá¹‡ saá¹ƒkrÄnta cintÄ: aitihÄsik paryÄlocanÄ (the thoughts of Bengali about Bengali pronunciation: historical analysis)â€. Proceedings of the Seminar of the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, 14-15 April, Dhaka, 1993.
â€¢ Haque, Enamul, BÄá¹…glÄ bÄkdhvani : svarup o binyÄs (Bengali speech sounds: identity and distribution). Dhaka: Ayantika, 1995.
â€¢ Hossain, Kamrul A., SÄdhÄraá¹‡ dhanitattver upÄdÄn (Components of general phonology). Dhaka: Bangla Academy, 1989.
â€¢ Hyman, Larry, Phonology: theory and analysis. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1975.
â€¢ Mukhopadhyay, Ashoke, â€œBÄá¹…glÄy Ã½uktabará¹‡a o kichu prÄsaá¹…gik praÅ›na (conjuncts in Bengali and some related questions)â€. BÄá¹…glÄ Bai, September Issue, pp. 1-2, 2005.
â€¢ Nath, Mrinal, â€œDuhkhini bará¹‡amÄlÄ (unfortunate alphabet)â€. Ebang Mushayera. Vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 62-73, 2004.
â€¢ Pal, Palash Baran, DhvaniÄlÄ bará¹‡amÄlÄ (Phonology and Alphabet). Kolkata: Pyapirus, 2001.
â€¢ Ray, Punya Sloka, Bengali Language Handbook. Calcutta: Bangla Akademi, 1997.
â€¢ Sarkar, Pabitra, Amitabha Mukhopadhyay and Prasantakumar Dasgupta (Eds.), AkÄdemi bÄnÄn abhidhÄn (Academy spelling dictionary). 4th Edition. Kolkata: Bangla Akademi, 2003.
â€¢ Sarkar, Pabitra, BÄá¹…glÄ bÄnÄn saá¹ƒskÄr: samasyÄ o sambhÄbanÄ (Bengali spelling reform: problems and possibilities). Kolkata: Chirayata Prakasan, 1992.
â€¢ Sarkar, Pabitra, â€œBÄá¹…glÄ bhÄá¹£Är Ã½uktabyÃ±jan (consonant conjuncts of Bengali language)â€. Bhasha, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 23-45, 1993.
â€¢ Schane, S.A. Generative phonology. Chicago: Prentice Hall, 1972.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.