Tuning PID Controllers Using Artificial Intelligence Techniques Applied To DC-Motor and AVR System
Keywords:PID-controller, DC-Motor, AVR system, Genetic Algorithm, Particle Swarm Optimization
This paper investigates PID controller tuning using genetic algorithm, modified genetic algorithm and particle swarm optimization techniques. The proposed techniques are compared to PID controllers tuned by the Ziegler-Nichols technique. Closed-loop simulations are conducted using MATLAB and the genetic algorithm toolbox for two applications, a DC-Motor and an Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR). The overshoots, rise time and settling time with the proposed techniques are shown to be better than those of the conventionally tuned PID controllers.
K.J. Astrom, T. Hagglund, â€œPID Controllers: Theory, Design and Tuningâ€, International Society for Measurement and Con., 2nd Ed., pp.200-210, 1995.
A. Jalilvand, A. Kimiyaghalam, A. Ashouri, H. Kord, â€œOptimal Tuning of PID Controller Parameters on a DC Motor Based on Advanced Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithmâ€, ISSN 2077-3528,IJTPE Journal, 2011.
Guillermo J. Costa, www.powertransmission.com, â€œTuning a PID Controllerâ€, April 2011.
Ali Marzoughi, Hazlina Selamat, Mohd Fuaâ€™ad Rahmat and Herlina Abdul Rahim, â€œOptimized proportional integral derivative (PID) controller for the exhaust temperature control of a gas turbine system using particle swarm optimizationâ€, International Journal of the Physical Sciences Vol. 7(5), pp. 720 - 729, 30 January, 2012.
Katsuhiko Ogata, University of Minnesota, â€œModern Control Engineering, Fourth Editionâ€, Publisher: Aeeizb, 2002.
A. Zilouchian, M. Jamshidi, â€œIntelligent Control Systems Using Soft Computing Methodologiesâ€, by CRC Press LLC, 2001.
Mohammed Obaid Ali, S. P. Koh, 1K. H. Chong, S.K.Tiong and Zeyad Assi Obaid, â€œGenetic Algorithm Tuning Based PID Controller for Liquid-Level Tank Systemâ€, Proceedings of the International Conference on Man-Machine Systems (ICoMMS)11 â€“ 13 October 2009, Batu Ferringhi, Penang, MALAYSIA, 2009.
N. Pillay, â€œA Particle Swarm Optimization Approach for Tuning of SISO PID Control Loopsâ€, Durban University of Technology, 2008.
A.A. Javadi, R. Farmani, T.P. Tan, â€œA hybrid intelligent genetic algorithmâ€, www.elsevier.com/locate/aei, Advanced Engineering Informatics 19 (2005) 255â€“262, 2005.
Andries P. Engelbrecht, â€œComputational intelligence: an introduction-2nd Ed.â€, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, The Atrium, Southern Gate, Chichester, West Sussex PO19 8SQ, England, 2007.
K.E. Parsopoulos and M.N. Vrahatis, â€œRecent approaches to global optimization problems through Particle Swarm Optimizationâ€, Academic Publishers. Natural Computing 1: 235â€“306, 2002.
JÂ´anos MÂ´adar, JÂ´anos Abonyi and Ferenc Szeifert, â€œInteractive Particle Swarm Optimizationâ€, Proceedings of the 2005 5th International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDAâ€™05), 2005.
Dian Palupi Rini, Siti Mariyam Shamsuddin and Siti Sophiyati Yuhaniz, â€œParticle Swarm Optimization: Technique, System and Challengesâ€, International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 â€“ 8887) Volume 14â€“ No.1, January 2011.
A. Marzoughi, H. Selamat, M. F. Rahmat, H. Abdul Rahim, â€œ Optimized Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) Controller for the Exhaust Temperature Control of a Gas Turbine System Using Particle Swarm Optimizationâ€, International Journal of the Physical Sciences Vol. 7(5), pp. 720-729, 2012.
M. A. Tammam, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt, â€œMulti Objective Genetic Algorithm Controllerâ€™s Tuning for Load Frequency Control in Power Systemsâ€, 2010.
Anant Oonsivilai and Padej Pao-La-Or, â€œOptimum PID Controller tuning for AVR System using Adaptive Tabu Searchâ€, 12th WSEAS International Conference on COMPUTERS, Heraklion, Greece, July 23-25, 2008.
A. Bagis, â€œDetermination of the PID Controller Parameters by Modified Genetic Algorithm for Improved Performanceâ€, Journal of Information Science and Engineering 23, 1469-1480 (2007).
N. Thomas, Dr. P. Poongodi, â€œPosition Control of DC Motor Using Genetic Algorithm Based PID Controllerâ€, Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering 2009 Vol II, London, U.K., 2009.
A. Jalilvand, A. Kimiyaghalam, A. Ashouri and H. Kord, â€œOPTIMAL TUNING OF PID CONTROLLER PARAMETERS ON A DC MOTOR BASED ON ADVANCED PARTICLE SWARM OPTIMIZATION ALGORITHMâ€, International Journal on â€œTechnical and Physical Problems of Engineeringâ€ (IJTPE) Published by International Organization on TPE (IOTPE). December 2011.
Zwe-Lee Gaing, â€œA Particle Swarm Optimization Approach for Optimum Design of PID Controller in AVR Systemâ€, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 19, NO. 2, JUNE 2004.
Ching-Chang Wong, Shih-An Li and Hou-Yi Wang, â€œOptimal PID Controller Design for AVR Systemâ€, Tamkang Journal of Science and Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 259_270 (2009).
S. F. Kheder, â€œGenetic Algorithm Based Controllerâ€™s Tuning for Linear and Nonlinear Automatic Voltage Regulator in Electrical Power Systemâ€, M.Sc. thesis, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University 2013.
S. M. A. Mohammadi, A.A. Gharaveisi, M. Mashinchi, and S.M.R. Rafiei, Senior Member, IEEE, â€œNew Evolutionary Methods for Optimal Design of PID Controllers for AVR Systemâ€, Paper accepted for presentation at IEEE Bucharest Power Tech Conference, June 28th - July 2nd, Bucharest, Romania, 2009.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.