Voltage Stability Analysis in the Albanian Power System
Keywords:Voltage Stability, power system analysis, power system reinforcement, instability
With the new social-economical developments and the free moving of the population, the electricity consumption in Albania has changed significantly. The main problem facing by Albania Electric Power System is that the power demand is increasing rapidly whereas the supply growth is constrained by reduced capital availability. Many failures have been occured in Albanian power systems due to voltage instability, in the past few years. This paper mainly concern steady state voltage stability by capability checking of Albanian power system to maintain the voltage profile in the presence of active/reactive load variations. Voltage stability analysis was performed by utilizing voltage stability tools in NEPLAN software.
The paper discusses the results of different methods in comparison of investments impact in the voltage stability. The results have shown that in heavily loaded power system of Albania the voltage stability problems cannot be met with the existing transfer capabilities, even with shunt compensation. New transmission capacities are necessary to improve the voltage stability.
Annual Reports 2005-2012, www.ere.gov.al
C.W. Taylor, Power system voltage stability, McGraw Hill, NY, 1994.
IEEE/PES Special Publication, Voltage stability assessment, procedures and guides, Final Report, January 2001.
R.J. Koessler, Voltage instability/collapse â€“ an overview, Proc. IEE Colloquium on Voltage Collapse, London, UK, Digest No. 1997/01, pp. 1/6- 6/6, 1997.
P.A. Lof, T. Smed, G. Andersson and D.J. Hill, Fast calculation of voltage stability index, IEEE Trans. on PS, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 54-60, 1992.
B. Gao, G.K. Morison and P. Kundur, Voltage stability evaluation using modal analysis, IEEE Trans. on PS, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 1529-1542, 1992.
T.J. Overbye and C.L. DeMarco, Improved techniques for power system voltage stability assessment using energy methods, IEEE Trans. on PS, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 1446-1452, 1991.
T.J. Overbye, Use of energy methods for on-line assessment of power system voltage security, IEEE Trans. on PS, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 452-458, 1993.
A.M. Chebbo, M.R. Irving and M.J.H. Sterling, Voltage collapse proximity indicator: behavior and implications, IEEE Proc. Gener. Transm. Distrib. Vol. 139, No. 3, pp. 241-252, 1992.
M.H. Haque, A fast method of determining the voltage stability limit of a power system, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 32, pp. 35-43, 1995.
K. Vu, M.M. Begovic, D. Novosel and M.M. Saha, Use of local measurements to estimate voltage stability margin, IEEE Trans. on PS, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 1029-1-34, 1999.
M.H. Haque, On-line monitoring of maximum permissible loading of a power system within voltage stability limit, IEE Proc. â€“ GTD, Vol. 150, No. 1, pp. 107-112, 2003.
G. Verbic and F. Gubina, Fast voltage-collapse line-protection algorithm based on local phasors, IEEE Proc. â€“ GTD, Vol. 150, No. 4, pp. 482-486, 2003.
L. Warland and A. T. Holen, Estimation of distance to voltage collapse:Testing and algorithm based on local measurements, Proc. of the 14th PSCC, Sevilla, Spain, 24-28 June 2002.
Cigre Publication, Criteria and countermeasures for voltage collapse, Cigre Task Force 38-02-12, 1994
Cigre Publication, Protection against voltage collapse, Cigre Working Group 34-08, 1998.
C. D.Vournas, Voltage Instability: Phenomena, Countermeasures, and Analysis methods, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.88, Issue:2, Feb. 2000, pp.208 â€“ 227.
Editor/Coordinator: Claudio Canizares, Voltage Stability Assessment: Concepts, Practices and Tools, IEEE/PES Power System Stability Subcommittee Special Publication, August 2002
P.Kundur, Power System Stability and Control, McGraw-Hill, NewYork, 1994
Claudia Reis, F.P. Maciel Barbosa, A Comparison of Voltage Stability Indices, IEEE MELECON 2006, May 16-19, BenalmÃ¡dena (MÃ¡laga), Spain
R.Bualoti, M.Qemali, L.Gjini, N.Hobdari, M.Ã‡elo, A Method For Defining The Location Of Facts Devices â€“ Type SVC, MAKOCIGRE 2009, 6. Conference - Ohrid, Maqedoni. (ID0361) October 4-6, 2009
A. Yokoyama and T. Kumano, Static voltage stability index using multiple load-flow solutions, EE in Japan, Vol. 111, No. 3, pp. 69-79, 1991.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.