Bilateral Temporomandibular Joint Ankylosis Caused by Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Case Report
Keywords:Key Words-TMJ ankylosis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Condylectomy
Background: We present a case of bilateral Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) ankylosis due to Rheumatoid arthritis (RA), the first case in our centre and indeed in Nigeria to the best our knowledge. The ankylosis was successfully released by bilateral condylectomy.
Methodology: The case records of a 60 year old woman with an inability to open the mouth over a period of 13 years following a previously rheumatoid arthritis of peripheral joints was reviewed. The details of clinical and radiological findings were recorded in addition to the definitive management.
Result: Bilateral condylectomy was performed and the ankylosisÂ Â released. Vigorous jaw exercised was commenced on her and she had an uneventful post operative stay. She was discharged home with moderate mouth opening. Early mobilization and aggressive physiotherapy was instituted in order to prevent re-ankylosis. She had not experienced relapsed since a year after the procedure.
Conclusion: A rare case of bilateral TMJ ankylosis resulting from long standing RA hereby presented, this case was successfully managed by bilateral condylectomy. It is, of paramount importance, that dental health care providers have a proper knowledge of systemic diseases affecting the function of orofacial structures
Key Words-TMJ ankylosis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Condylectomy
Malik N.A. Textbook of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 1st ed. New Delhi: Japee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2002 .
mitroulis G. Condylar injuries in growing patients. Aust Dent J 1997;42:367-71 .
Topazian R.G. Etiology of Ankylosis of Temporomandibular Joint Analysis of 44 cases. J Oral Surg 1964;(22):227 .
Glenn A.M, Page H.L, Griffith CR, Rochester N.Y. Temporomandibular Joint Ankylosis ;Review of litrature and report of two cases of bilateral involvement. J Oral Surg 1975;3:792-802 .
Kumar, Clark. Textbook of Clinical Medicine. 6th ed. Spain: Elsevier Sauders Medical Publisher Ltd; 2010 .
Adekeye E.O. Ankylosis of the mandible ; Analysis of 76 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1983;41:442-9 .
Koh ET, Yap AU, Koh CK, Chee TS, Chan SP, Boudville IC. Temporomandibular disorders in rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 1999;26(9):1918-22 .
Greenwood M, Meechan JG. General medicine and surgery for dental practitioners. Part 8: Musculoskeletal system. British Dental Journal 2003;195:243-8
Ozcan I, Ozcan KM, Keskin D, Bahar S, Boyacigil S, Dere H. Temporomandibular joint involvement in rheumatoid arthritis: correlation of clinical, laboratory and magnetic resonance imaging findings. B-ENT 2008;4(1):19-24 .
Rishiraj B, McFadden LR. Treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Ankylosis: A Case Report. J Can Dent Assoc 2001;67(11):659-63 .
Abbas I, Jamil M, Jehanzeb M, Ghous SM. Temporomandibular joint ankylosis: Experience with interpositional gap arthroplasty at Ayub medical college Abbottabad. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2005;17(4) 2005;17(4):67-9 .
Cook HP. Bilateral ankylosis of the temporomandibular joints following rheumatoid arthritis. Proc R Soc Med 1958;51(9):694-6 .
Bayar N, Kara SA, Keles I, Kocm C, Altinok D, Orkun S. Temporomandibular Joint involvement in rheumatoid arthritis, a radiological and clinical study. Cranio 2002;20:105-10 .
Kobayashi R, Utsunomiya T, Yamamoto H, Nagura H. Ankylosis of Temporomandibular joint caused by rheumatoid arthritis. A pathological study and review. J OralScience 2001;43:97-10 1.
Shanshikran N.D, Reddy S.V, Patil R, Yavangal C. Management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis in growing children. J Indian Soc Paedo Prev Dent 2005;3:35-7 .
Ardic F, Gokhrman D, Atsu S, Guner S, Yilmaz M, Yorqacioglu R. The comprehensive evaluation of temporomandibular joint disorders seen in rheumatoid arthritis. Aust Dent J 2006;51:23-8 .
Chindzonga MM. Temporomandibular joint ankylosis ; Review of thirty two cases. Br Oral Maxillofac Surg 1999;37:123-6
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.