Contribution of Translations and Adaptations to the Birth of Turkish Pop Music
Keywords:song translation, translation of popular music
AbstractPopular songs are important multimodal mass media products through which cultures are communicated to people of different backgrounds, and these are widely translated. But, the study of the translations of popular songs has been partially neglected in translation studies. In a neffort to contribute to filling this gap, the article aims to underline the importance of the translation and adaptation of songs; to explain how songs were translated and adapted to give birth to Turkish pop music; and to provide an example of an instance where socio-political and cultural realities and aspirations, aided by different translational strategies, helped shape a new music culture.
â€¢ Akkaya, Ayhan and Fehmiye Ã‡elik.. â€œAranjmandan Popa TÃ¼rkiyeâ€™de 1960â€™lÄ±-70â€™li YÄ±llarâ€. In 60â€™lardan 70â€™lere 45â€™lik ÅžarkÄ±lar, Ed. by Ayhan Akkaya and Fehmiye Ã‡elik. BGST YayÄ±nlarÄ±, Ä°stanbul, 2006. Web. 23 July 2015. http://www.bgst.org/45lik-sarkilar-projesi-uzerine-yapilan-soylesiler/aranjmandan-anadolu-popa-turkiyede-1960li-70li-yillar1.
â€¢ Bosseaux, Charlotte. â€œThe Translation of Songâ€. The Oxford Handbook of Translation Studies. Eds. Kirsten Malmkjaer and Kevin Windle. Oxford University Press, UK, pp.183-197, 2011.
â€¢ Cintrao, Heloisa Pezza. â€œTranslating â€˜Under the Sign of Inventionâ€™: Gilberto Gilâ€™sSong Lyric Translationâ€. Meta: Translatorsâ€™ Journal 54.4 December, pp. 813-832, 2009.
â€¢ Dilmener, Naim. Bak Bir VarmÄ±ÅŸ bir YokmuÅŸ. Ä°letiÅŸim, Ä°stanbul, 2014.
â€¢ Diyadinnet. Pop MÃ¼zik TÃ¼rkiye Tarihi. 2014. Web. 23 July 2015 http://www.diyadinnet.com/YararliBilgiler-486&Bilgi=pop-m%C3%BCzik-t%C3%BCrkiye-tarihi-nedir.
â€¢ Erkal, GÃ¼ven Erkin. TÃ¼rkiye Rock Tarihi 1. Esen Kitap, Ä°stanbul, 2014.
â€¢ Franzon, Johan. â€œChoices in Song Translation: Singability in Print, Subtitles and Sung Performance.â€ The Translator, 14.2, Special Issue Translation and Music, pp. 373-399, 2008.
â€¢ GorlÃ©e, Dinda. Song and Significance. Virtues and vices of vocal translation. Ed. by Dinda L GorlÃ©e. Amsterdam: Rodopi. 2005.
â€¢ Hallam, Susan. The Powerful Role of Music in Society. 2008. Web. 23 July 2015. https://musicmagic.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/music-in-society/.
â€¢ Kaindl, Klaus. â€œThe plurisemiotic of pop song translation: words, music,voice and image.â€ In Song and Significance. Virtues and vices of vocal translation. Eds. Dinda L GorlÃ©e. Rodopi, Amsterdam, pp.235-262, 2005.
â€¢ Kongar, Emre. 21. YÃ¼zyÄ±lda TÃ¼rkiye:2000â€™li YÄ±llarda TÃ¼rkiyeâ€™nin Toplumsal YapÄ±sÄ±. Remzi Kitabevi, Ä°stanbul, 2013.
â€¢ Low, Peter. â€œThe pentathlon approach to translating songs.â€ Song and Significance. Virtues and vices of vocal translation. Eds. Dinda L GorlÃ©e, Rodopi, Amsterdam,185-212, 2005.
â€¢ Low, Peter. â€œWhen Songs Cross Language Borders.â€ The Translator 19.2, pp.229-244. 2008.
â€¢ McMicheal, Polly. â€œTranslation, Authorship and Authenticity in Soviet Rock Songwriting.â€ The Translator 14:2, pp.201-228, 2008.
â€¢ Munday, Jeremy (Ed). The Routledge Companion to Translation Studies. Routledge, London and New York, 2009.
â€¢ Pym, Anthony. â€œOn History in Formal Conceptualizations of Translation.â€ Version 1.3. April 2007. Text written following the Conference Translation, the History of Political Thought, and the History of Concept, City University New York. September 29th to October 1 2005. Web. July 23,2015. www.tinet.cat/~apym/on.../translation_ny.pdf.
â€¢ Shuttleworth, Mark and Moira Cowie. Dictionary of Translation Studies. Manchester: St Jerome, 1997.
â€¢ Spitzer, John and Ronald G. Walters. 2015. â€œMaking Sense of American Popular Song.â€ Making Sense of Evidence series on History Matters: The U.S. Survey on the Web. Web. 23 July 2015. http://historymatters.gmu.edu.
â€¢ Susam-Sarajeva, Sebnem. â€œTranslation and Music.â€ The Translator 1422, pp.187-200, 2008.
â€¢ Toury, Gideon. Descriptive Translation Studies and Beyond. Benjamins, Amsterdam 1995.
â€¢ Toury, Gideon. â€œThe notion of Assumed Translation- an Invitation to a New Discussion.â€ Letterlijkheid, Woordelijheid/Literality, Verbality. Eds. H. Bloeman, E. Hertog and W. Segers, Fantom, Antwerpten/Harmelen pp.135-147.1995.
â€¢ TunÃ§, Ayfer. Bir Maniniz Yoksa Annemler Size Gelecek. Istanbul: Can YayÄ±nlarÄ±, 2005.
â€¢ Yersimos, Stefanos. AzgeliÅŸmiÅŸlik SÃ¼recinde TÃ¼rkiye. Cilt 3,2, GÃ¶zlem YayÄ±nlarÄ±,Ä°stanbul, 1977.
â€¢ Zethsen, Karen Korning. â€œBeyond Translation Proper- Extending the Field of Translation Studies.â€ TTR: traduction, terminologie, reduction. 20.1, pp. 281-308, 2007. Erudit.org. http://id.erudit.org/iderudit7018506ar.
â€¢ Performers and Song Lyrics Cited:
â€¢ The Box Top, The Letter, 1967, http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/the_box_tops/the_letter.html. (Last accessed May 10, 2016)
â€¢ MoÄŸollar, Mektup, 1968, http://www.sarkisozu.com/sarkilar-15719/mogollar-mektup.html. (Last accessed May 10, 2016)
â€¢ Gloria Gaynor, I Will Survive, 1978 , http://songlyrics2000.blogspot.com.tr/2009/09/lyric-i-will-survive-gloria-gaynor-1978.html. (Last accessed May 10, 2016)
â€¢ Ajda Pekkan, BambaÅŸka Biri, 1979, http://www.sozmuzik.com/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=268&page=1. (Last accessed May 10, 2016)
â€¢ Jose Feliciano, Rain, 1969, http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/j/jose_feliciano/rain.html. (Last accessed May 10, 2016)
â€¢ Ajda Pekkan, YaÄŸmur, 1970, http://sarki.alternatifim.com/data.asp?ID=10823&sarki=Ya%F0mur&sarkici=Ajda%20Pekkan. (Last accessed May 10, 2016)
â€¢ Jonathan King, Flirt, 1972, http://song-lyrics.ru/?mode=song&id=1898617. (Last accessed May 10, 2016)
â€¢ FÃ¼sun Ã–nal, FlÃ¶rt, 1972, https://www.gugalyrics.com/lyrics-1433909/f%C3%BCsun-%C3%B6nal-fl%C3%B6rt.html. (Last accessed May 10, 2016)
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.