Dynamics of Composite Beam with Transverse Non-Propagating Open Crack
Keywords:Composite Materials, Crack detection, Damage Diagnosis, Vibration Analysis
Cracks or other defects in a structural element influence its dynamic behavior and change its stiffness and damping properties. In this paper, The Critical fracture parameters governing the severity of stress and deformation field ahead of the cracks were evaluated. To ensure the safe, reliable and operational life of structures, it is of high importance to know if their members are free of cracks and, should they be present, to assess their extent. Static, modal, and harmonic analysis were conducted to analyze the dynamic behavior of the cracked composite beam. Also the variation of natural frequencies with different boundary conditions ie, Clamped-Clamped, Clamped-Simply Supported and Cantilever were found out. From the results it is found that the natural frequencies of the beam varied with the depth of the cracks. Also the static stresses tend to increase as the crack depth increases.
Rene B. Abarcar.â€œThe Vibration of Cantilever Beams of Fiber Reinforced Materialâ€, Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 6, p.504-517, 1972.
P.Gudmundson, â€œEigen Frequency changes of structures due to cracks, notches or other geometrical changesâ€, Journal of Mech.Phys.Solids,Vol 30, pp.339-353, 1982.
Rizos, P. F., Aspragathos, N. and Dimarogonas, A. D, â€œIdentification of crack location and magnitude in a cantilever beam from the vibration modesâ€, Journal of Sound and Vibration,Vol. 138, No.3, p. 381-388, 1990.
V.Tita, J. de Carvalho and J. Lirani, â€œTheoretical and Experimental Dynamic Analysis of Fiber Reinforced Composite Beamsâ€ V., J. of the Braz. Soc. of Mech. Sci. & Eng. , Vol. XXV, No.3, p. 306-310, 2003.
Kaihong Wang, Daniel J. Inmana& Charles R. Farrar, â€œModeling and analysis of a cracked composite cantilever beam vibrating in coupled bending and torsion, journal of Sound and Vibrationâ€, Vol.284, p 23-49, 2005.
Mohamed S. Gaith,â€œNondestructive health monitoring of cracked simply supported fiber reinforced composite structuresâ€, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 22(18) 2207â€“2214 , 2011.
Ostachowicz W.M. and Krawczuk M,â€œAnalysis of the effect of cracks on the natural frequencies of a cantilever beamâ€. Journal of Sound and Vibration 150(2), p. 191-201,1997.
Vinson and Sierakowski,â€œBehavior of Structures Composed of Composite Materialsâ€, 1st edn. Dordrecht: MartinusNijhoff , 1991.
Murat Kisa,â€œFree vibration analysis of a cantilever composite beam with multiple cracksâ€. Journal ofComposites Science and Technology 64 P. 1391â€“1402, 2003.
Krawczuk M, and Ostachowicz W.M, â€œModelling and Vibration Analysis Of a Cantilever Composite Beam with a Transverse Open Crackâ€.Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 183 No. 1, p. 69-89,1995.
ANSYS 12.1 Documentation preview, Theory of reference and element library.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.