Characterization of Wear Resistance of Silica-Styrene-Butadiene Rubber Filled Hybrid Composites
Keywords:Hybrid Composites, Wear Resistance, epoxy resin
Composite materials are made from two or more constituent materials with significantly different physical or chemical properties which remain separate and distinct on a macroscopic level within the finished structure. In the present work a silica-styrene-butadiene rubber hybrid composite material is developed with 1 and 2 wt% of nano sized silica particle and 0.25 to 1.5 wt% of styrene-butadiene rubber mixed in resin. About 75% of wear reduction is found due to addition of silica particle, whereas addition of styrene-butadiene rubber has insignificant effect on the wear rate. However, it slightly increases the wear rate as compared to silica filled epoxy composite. Hybrid composites with higher silica content exhibit higher hardness.Â A good liner correlation between wear rate and hardness exists with probability p <= 0.01Â Â and correlation coefficient R> 0.8.
C. A. May, â€œEpoxy Resinsâ€”Chemistry and Technologyâ€, 2nd ed., Marcel Dekker, New York, 1988.
B. Ellis, â€œChemistry and Technology of Epoxy Resinsâ€, Blackie, London, 1993.
S.K. Bhattacharya and R. R. Tummala, â€œIntegral passives for next generation of electronic packaging: application of epoxy/ceramic nanocomposites as integral capacitorsâ€, Microelectron. J., vol. 32, pp11â€“19, 2001.
M. Z. Rong, M. Q. Zhang, H. Liu, H.M Zeng, â€œMicrostructure and tribological behavior of polymeric nanocompositesâ€, Ind. Lubric. Tribol. Vol.53 (2), pp72â€“77, 2001.
Y. Zhang; D. Rodrigue A. Ait- Kad, â€œThe effect of density profile on the flexural properties of structural foamsâ€, Journal of Polymers and Polymers Composites. Vol. 12, pp. 1-15, 2004.
Y. L. Liu., C.Y. Hsu, W. L. Wei, R.J Jeng, â€œPreparation and thermal properties of epoxy-silica nanocomposite from nano scale colloidal silicaâ€, Polymer, vol. 44, pp. 5159â€“516, 2003.
Y. Ou, F. Yang, Z. Z. Yu., â€œNew conception on the toughness of nylon 6/silica nanocomposite prepared via in situ polymerizationâ€, J. Polym. Sci. B: Polym. Phys. Vol. 36, pp. 789â€“795, 1998.
M. J Wang, â€œEffect of Polymer-Filler and Filler-Filler Interactions on Dynamic Properties of Filled Vulcanizatesâ€, Rubber Chemistry and Technology, vol. 71, pp. 520-589, 1998.
B. Wetzel, F. Haupert M.Q Zhang, â€œEpoxy nanocomposites with high mechanical and tribological performanceâ€, Compos. Sci. Technol. Vol. 63, pp. 2055â€“2067, 2003.
A. Bandyopadhyay, A. K. Bhowmick, D. M. Sarkar, â€œSynthesis and characterization of acrylic rubber/silica hybrid composite prepared by sol gel techniqueâ€, J. of Applied polymer Sci, vol. 93; pp 2579-2589, 2004.
C. Neogi, S. P. Basu, A. K. Bhowmick, â€œAnalysis of Rubber-Filler Interaction at High Temperature by Using Strain Amplification Factoâ€, Plastics and Rubber Processing and Applications, vol. 12, pp. 147-151,1989.
B. Chung, J. M. Funt, G. B. Ouyang, â€œEffects of Carbon Black on Elastomer Ultimate Properties â€“ IR Compundsâ€, Rubber World, `vol. 204, pp. 46-51,1991.
M. J. Wang, â€œEffect of Polymer-Filler and Filler-Filler Interactions on Dynamic Properties of Filled Vulcanizatesâ€, Rubber Chemistry and Technology, vol. 71, pp. 520-589,1998.
V. K. Singh, P.C. Gope, â€œSilica-Styrene-Butadiene Rubber Filled Hybrid Composites: Experimental Characterization and Modelingâ€, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 29(16), pp. 2450-2468, 2010.
J. M. Durand, M. Vardavanlias, M. Teandin, â€œ Role of reinforcing ceramic particle in the wear behavior based model compositesâ€ Wear, vol. 181, pp. 837-839,1995.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.