Effect of Glass Spheres on Properties of E Glass/Cyanate Modified Epoxy Laminate
High performance polymer composite laminates used in Aerospace and Electronics industries requires laminates that are structurally rigid besides exhibiting high stiffness and good di electrical properties. They are often required to be electromagnetically transparent in order to transmit the EM signals with nil transmission loss. Such materials could be a targeted with a focus on further enhancing their capabilities so that new material combinations with variety of fillers could be tried for different applications of the generation next, Electronics. Response of the laminates under tensile , flexural loading and a set of critical di electrical properties could by and large establish a potent material combination that can be used in signal processing divisions of aero electronics in particular viz Radome and similar such units. To augment this, thin laminates with cross ply configuration having 0/90/0/90 degrees as applicable to 4 plied, cross plied laminates were fabricated with cyanate ester modified epoxy resin and 1200GSM E glass unidirectional fiber. Solid glass spheres (9-13 micrometers diameter) as fillers were added to the laminate in 0%,10%,20% and 30%.Tensile strength & modulus, Flexural strength& modulus and di electric strength,di electric constant and dissipation factor /loss tangent at 1 MHz respectively were the properties chosen for the functionalization. It was found that best structural responses were from the balanced 4 plied laminate with 10% filler addition whereas the dielectric strength and loss tangent were found to be best for laminate with 10% filler addition. The dielectric constant was found to be the best for laminate with 30% filler addition. Thus, it was proven that filler addition has a vital role in influencing the properties of a laminate and a proper trade off between various parameters are required to be weighed before zeroing on a potential laminate for a specific application.
â€¢ A.C,Meeks. (1974). Polymer ,15,675
â€¢ R.J.MYSLINSKI.(2007).'Synthesis and characterization of cyanate epoxy composites High Performance Polymersâ€™19: 33-47
â€¢ .PEARCE. P.J,ENNIS, B.C and MorrisC.E.M.(1988).Polymer comm.,29 ,83
â€¢ LEE, J., YEE, A. F.(2001). 'Fracture behavior of glass bead filled epoxies: Cleaning process of glass beads'. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 79, 1371â€“1383
â€¢ ADACHI, T., OSAKI M., ARAKI W., KWON S-C: 'Fracture toughness of nano- and micro-spherical silica-particlefilled epoxy composites'. Acta Materialia, 56, 2101â€“ 2109 (2008)
â€¢ FARBER, K.T., EVANS, A. G. (1983) 'Crack deflection process-I'.Theory. Acta Metallurgica, 31, 565â€“576
â€¢ FARBER, K. T., EVANS, A. G. (1983)' Crack deflection process-II'.Experiment. Acta Metallurgica, 31, 577â€“584
â€¢ .LANGE, F. F. 'The interaction of a crack front with a second-phase dispersion.' Philosophical Magazine, 22,
â€¢ GREEN, D. J., NICHOLSON P. S., EMBURY J. D.: 'Fracture of a brittle particulate composite. Part 2. Theoretical aspects.' Journal of Materials Science, 14, 1657â€“1661(1979)
â€¢ BHUVANA, S..,SAROJA DEVI M., 'A study on the synthesis and Characterization of epoxy/amine terminated amide-imide-imide blends' ,Appl.Polym Sci.,Vol.108, pp 2001-2009
â€¢ .CHAPLIN, A., HAMERTON, I., HERMAN H., MUDHAR A.K. and SHAW S.J. (2000).,' Studying water uptakes effects in resins based on cyante ester/bismaleimide blends 'Polymer, Vol. 41,pp .3945-3956
â€¢ DONA MATHEW .REGHUNADHAN NAIR, C.P.AND NINAN K.N. (2001). 'Bisphenol a dicyanate -novalac epoxy blend :cure characteristics ,physical and mechanical properties ,and application in composites', J.Appl. Polym Sci.,Vol .74,pp.1675-1685
â€¢ L.S.JEAYAKUMARI, V. THULASIRAMAN, M.SAROJADEVI. (2007).'Synthesis and Characterisation of Bis(4-cyanato3,5-dimethylphenyl) Naphthyl Methane/Epoxy /Glass fiber Composites 'Polymer composite
â€¢ .K.RVIJAYAKUMAR and V SUNDARESWARAN. (2010).â€™Dynamic mechanical properties of epoxy cyanate matrix composite under varied temperatureby free vibrationâ€™ JVC 17(12) 1905-1911
â€¢ SHAO-YUN FU , XI-QIAO FENG ,BERND LAUKE ,YIU -WING MAI. (2008). 'Effects of particle size, particle /matrix interface adhesion and particle loading on mechanical properties of particulate - polymer composite ', composites Part B: engineering 39,933- 961
â€¢ LEE J, YEE A.F.(2001). Inorganic particles toughening II: 'toughening mechanisms of glass filled epoxies;.Polymer; 42:589-97
â€¢ EVANS, A.G.(1972).'The strength of brittle materials containing second phase dispersions' :.Philos Mag;1327-44
â€¢ GUTH, E. (1945).Theory of filler reinforcement .J Appl Phys; 16:20-5
â€¢ WENHU YANG ,RAN YI ,XU YANG ,MAN XU ,SISI HUI , and XIAOLONG CAO. (2012). 'Effect of Particle Size and dispersion on Dielectric Properties in ZnO/Epoxy Resin Composites ' Transactions on Electrical and Electronic Materials ,June 25 , Vol. 13 , No .3, pp . 116 -120
â€¢ DEKKERS MEJ , HEIKENS D. (1983). 'The effect of interfacial adhesion on the tensile behaviour of polystyrene - glass -bead composites ' Polym Sci;28:3809 -15
â€¢ LEE, J,YEE A.F.(2001). Inorgonic particle tougheneing II.,' Toughening mechanism of glass bead filled epoxies 'Polmer;42 :589 -97
â€¢ MALLICK,PK..,BROUTMAN L. (1935). Mechanical and fracture behaviour of glass bead filled epoxy composites. J Master Sci Eng ; 18:63-73
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.