Assessment of Drinking Water Quality Index (DWQI) in and around SIPCOT Region of Cuddalore District, Tamilnadu
Keywords:Aquifers, brines, groundwater, quality index
The coastal groundwater from a fragile ecosystem and it is more affected by groundwater extraction and the situation is more complex if it is industrialized. In order to unravel the status of the drinking water quality 60 groundwater samples were collected during post and pre-monsoonÂ (30 each). The collected samples were analysed for major cations and anions. They were compared to the drinking water standard and Drinking water quality index (DWQI) was derived and studied for both the seasons and it was found that more samples of pre monsoon fall in unsuitable category and it was also inferred that they fall along the coastal region and near the Uppanar river near the SIPCOT region.
Bakare AA, Lateef A, Amuda OS, Afolabi RO. The Aquatic toxicity and characterization of chemical and microbiological constituents of water samples from Oba River, Odo-oba, Nigeria. Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences, 2003; 5, 11â€“17.
Polemio, M., Dragone, V. and Limoni, P.P, Salt contamination in Apulian aquifer: spatial and time trend. Proceedings of 1st SWIM-SWICA (19th salt water intrusion, meeting-3rd salt water intrusion in coastal aquifers), Cagliari, 2006, 119-125.
Kookana, R.S., Aylmore, L.A.G., Estimating the pollution potential of pesticides to ground water. Austral. J. Soil Res. 1994, 32, 1141â€“1155.
Toda, H., Mochizuki, Y., Kawanishi, T., Kawashima, H., Denitrification in shallow ground water in a coastal agricultural area in Japan. Nutr. Cycling Agroecosyst, 2002, 63, 167â€“173.
Tiwari, T.N. and M.A. Mishra, A preliminary assignment of water quality index of major Indian rivers. Indian J. Environ. Protection, 1995, 5, 276-279.
Singh, D.F., Studies on the water quality index of some major rivers of Pune, Maharashtra. In the Proceedings of the Academy of Environ. Biol., 1992, 1(1), 61-66.
Subba Rao, N., Studies on water quality index in hard rock terrain of Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh, India. National Seminar on Hydrology of Precambrian Terrains and hard rock areas, 1997, 129-134.
Mishra, P.C. and R.K. Patel, Study of the pollution load in the drinking water of Rairangpur, a small tribal dominated town of North Orissa. Indian J. Environ. Ecoplanning, 2001, 2, 293-298.
Naik, S. and K.M. Purohit, Studies on water quality of river Brahmani in Sundargarh district, Orissa. Indian J. Environ. Ecoplanning, 2001, 5(2), 397-402.
Avvannavar, S.M. and S. Shrihari,. Evaluation of water quality index for drinking purposes for river Netravathi, Mangalore, South India. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 2008, 143, 279-290.
S.Devi and R.Premkumar, Physicochemical Analysis of Groundwater samples near Industrial Area, Cuddalore District, Tamilnadu, India, International Journal of ChemTech Research, 2012 , 4(1), 29-34.
Alagappan Sethuraman, Ekwal Imam, Tesfamichael G. Yohannes, Fluoride contamination in estuary water villages located around the SIPCOT Industrial Zone, Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu, India J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 2013, 4 (4), 520-525.
Senthilkumar G, Ramanathan AL, Nainwal HC, Chidambaram S, Evaluation of the hyfrogeochemistry of groundwater using factor analysis in the Cuddalore coastal region, Tamilnadu, India, Indian Journal of Marine sciences, 2008, 37(2), 181-185.
K. Srinivasamoorthy, M. Vasanthavigar, S. Chidambaram, P. Anandhan and V.S. Sarma Characterisation of Groundwater Chemistry in an Eastern Coastal Area of Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu, Journal Geological Society Of India, 2011, 78, 549-558.
Ramesh R and Anbu M, Chemical methods for environmental analysis water and sediments, 1996, pp.161.
APHA, Standard Methods for Examination of Water and Wastewater, 1995, American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
Stumm, W., Morgan, J.J., Aquatic Chemistry: Chemical Equilibria and Rates in Natural Waters, 1996, third ed, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
Chidambaram, S., Senthil kumar, G., Prasanna, MV., John peter, A., Ramanthan, AL and Srinivasamoorthy, K. A study on the hydrogeology and Hydrogeochemistry of groundwater from different depths in a coastal aquifer: Annamalai Nagar, Tamilnadu, India; Environ. Geol. 2009, 57, 59-73.
Prasanna M V, Chidambaram S, Pethaperumal S, Srinivasamoorthy K, John Peter A, Anandhan P, Vasanthavigar M (2008) Integrated geophysical and chemical study in the lower subbasin of Gadilam River, Tamilnadu, India; Environmental Geosciences, 2008, 15(4), 145â€“152
Ramakrishnaiah C.R. et al, Assessment of Water Quality Index for the Groundwater in Tumkur Taluk, Karnataka State, India; E-Journal of Chemistry, 2009, 6(2), 523-530.
Vasanthavigar, M., K. Srinivasamoorthy, K. Vijayaragavan, R. Rajiv Ganthi, S. Chidambaram, P. Anandhan, R. Manivannan and S. Vasudevan, 2010. Application of water quality index for groundwater quality assessment: Thiruman
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.