Harmonic Analysis and Its Mitigation Using Different Passive Filters
Keywords:Capacitors, Harmonics, Passive filter, Power quality
Harmonics are the by-products of modern electronic devices. Harmonics play a significant role in deteriorating power quality, called harmonic distortion. To mitigate the harmonics, one can install passive or active filters. Though active filters are very effective to compensate harmonic currents and voltages they are still very expensive. Hence, active filters are only installed in large industrial plants while for small installations passive filters are more preferred.
In this paper a case study of design and development of harmonic filter for a typical non- linear load is presented. Different filter topologies are designed based on the introduced methods to suppress a benchmark of harmonics.Â Harmonic survey indicated a current THD of 128%. Then the whole system is simulated with SIMULINK to verify the discussed procedures.
Electronics, vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 1210-1218, Dec. 2001.
. Babak Badrzadeh, Kenneth S. Smith, and Roddy C. Wilson, â€œDesigning Passive Harmonic Filters for an Aluminum Smelting Plantâ€ IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 47, no. 2, March/April 2011.
. D. A. Gonzalez and J. C. McCall, â€œDesign of filters to reduce harmonic distortion in industrial power systems,â€ IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications, vol. IA-23, no. 3, pp. 504â€“511, May 1987.
. A. B. Nassif, W. Xu, and W. Freitas, â€œAn investigation on the selection of filter topologies for passive filter applications,â€ IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1710â€“1718, July 2009.
. Ehsan Pashajavi and Masood A.Golkar, â€œEfficient procedures to design and characterize passive harmonic filters in low power applications,â€ IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), October 2010.
. X. Yao, Z. Jie and M. Shijie, â€œTheory for the design of C-type filterâ€, 11th International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power, pp. 11-15, 2004.
. E. Makram, E. V. Subramaniam, A. A. Girgis, and R. Catoe, â€œHarmonic filter design using actual recorded data,â€ IEEE Transactions Industrial Applications, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1176â€“1183, Nov./Dec. 1993.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.