A Hybrid Relational Database Model for Uncertain and Imprecise Information
Keywords:Fuzzy probabilistic triple, ï¥- equivalence, uncertain and imprecise information, relational algebraic operation
Recent years, many fuzzy or probabilistic database models have been built for representing and handling imprecise or uncertain information of objects in real-world applications. However, relational database models combining the relevance and strength of both fuzzy set and probability theories have rarely been proposed. This paper introduces a new relational database model, as a hybrid one combining consistently fuzzy set theory and probability theory for modeling and manipulating uncertain and imprecise information, where the uncertainty and imprecision of a relational attribute value are represented by a fuzzy probabilistic triple, the computation and combination of relational attribute values are implemented by using the probabilistic interpretation of binary relations on fuzzy sets, and the elimination of redundant data is dealt with by coalescing e-equivalent tuples. The basic concepts of the classical relational database model are extended in this new model. Then the relational algebraic operations are formally defined accordingly. A set of the properties of the relational algebraic operations is also formulated and proven.
J.F. Baldwin, J.M. Lawry, and T.P. Martin, â€œA mass assignment theory of the probability of fuzzy eventsâ€, Journal of Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 83, pp. 353-367, 1996.
J.F. Baldwin, J.M. Lawry, and T.P. Martin, â€œA note on probability/possibility consistency for fuzzy eventsâ€, in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems, IPMU'96, Granada, Spain, pp. 521-525, 1996.
E.F. Codd, â€œA relational model of data for large shared data banksâ€, Communications of the ACM, vol. 13, pp. 377-387, 1970.
T. H. Cao, and H. Nguyen, â€œUncertain and fuzzy object bases: a data model and algebraic operationsâ€, International Journal of Uncertainty Fuzziness and Knowledge-Based Systems, vol. 19, pp. 275âˆ’305, 2011.
C.J. Date, An introduction to database systems, the 8th Edition, Addison Wesley, 2008.
T. Cao, H. Nguyen, A. Inoue, and D. Zhou, "A Probabilistic Relational Database Model with Fuzzy Attribute Valuesâ€, in Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), New Orleans, Louisiana,USA, pp.338-343, 2019.
D. Dey and S. A. Sarkar, â€œA probabilistic relational model and algebraâ€, ACM Transactions on Database Systems, vol. 21, pp. 339-369, 1996.
T. Eiter, T. Lukasiewicz, and M. Walter, â€œA data model and algebra for probabilistic complex valuesâ€, Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 33, pp. 205-252, 2001.
T. Eiter, J.J. Lu, T. Lukasiewicz, and V.S. Subrahmanian, â€œProbabilistic object basesâ€, ACM Transactions on Database Systems (TODS), vol. 26, pp. 264-312, 2001.
T. Ge, A. Dekhtyar, and J. Goldsmith, â€œUncertain data: Representations, query processing, and applicationsâ€, in Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 67-108, 2013.
G.J. Klir, and B. Yuan, Fuzzy sets and fuzzy logic -Theory and applications, Prentice Hall PTR, 1994.
Z. Ma, and L. Yan, Advances in probabilistic databases for uncertain information management, Springer, 2013.
Z. Ma, and L. Yan, â€œModeling fuzzy data with RDF and fuzzy relational database modelsâ€, International Journal of Intelligent Systems, vol. 33, pp. 1534-1554, 2018.
X. Meng, Z.M. Ma, and X. Zhu, â€œA Knowledge-based fuzzy query and results ranking approach for relational databasesâ€, Journal of Computational Information Systems, vol. 6, pp. 2037-2044, 2010.
J. Mishra, and S. Ghosh, â€œA new functional dependency in a vague relational database modelâ€, International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 39, pp. 29-36, 2012.
H. Nguyen, and D.H. Tran, â€œA probabilistic relational data model for uncertain informationâ€, in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Information Science and Technology (ICIST), Yangzhou, China, pp. 607-613, 2013.
H. Nguyen, â€œTowards a fuzzy probabilistic relational data base modelâ€, in Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Knowledge and Systems Engineering (KSE), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, pp. 298-301, 2015.
H. Nguyen, â€œA fuzzy probabilistic relational database model and algebraâ€, Journal of Computer Science and Cybernetics, vol. 32, pp. 189-207, 2016.
H. Nguyen, â€œExtending relational database model for uncertain informationâ€, Journal of Computer Science and Cybernetics, vol.35, pp.355-372, 2019.
K. Papaioannou, M. Theobald, and M. Boehlen, â€œSupporting set operations in temporal-probabilistic databasesâ€, in Proceedings of the 34th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Paris, France, pp. 1180 -1191, 2018.
F.E. Petry, Fuzzy databases: Principles and applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
R. Ross, and V.S. Subrahmanian, â€œAggregate operators in probabilistic databasesâ€, Journal of the ACM, vol. 52, pp. 54-101, 2005.
A.A. Sabour, A.M. Gadallah, and H.A. Hefny, â€œFlexible querying of relational databases: fuzzy set based approachâ€, Advanced Machine Learning Technologies and Applications Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol. 488, pp. 446-455, 2014.
L. Yan, and Z.M. Ma, â€œA fuzzy probabilistic relational database model and algebraâ€, International Journal of Fuzzy Systems, vol. 15, pp. 244-253, 2013.
L. Yan, and Z.M. Ma, â€œA Probabilistic Nested Relational Database Model with Fuzzy Probability Measuresâ€, in Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), New Orleans, Louisiana,USA, pp.253-257, 2019.
L.A. Zadeh, â€œFuzzy setsâ€, Journal of Information and Control, vol. 8, pp. 338-353, 1965.
S. Zhang, and C. Zhang, â€œA probabilistic data model and its semanticsâ€, Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology, vol. 35, pp. 237-256, 2003.
W. Zhao, A. Dekhtyar, and J. Goldsmith, â€œDatabases for interval probabilitiesâ€, International Journal of Intelligent Systems, vol. 19, pp. 789-815, 2004.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Hoa Nguyen
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.