Human Leptospirosis in Morocco, 2004-2010: Serological Study by Slide Agglutination test (SAT)
Keywords:Leptospirosis, Morocco, SAT, Zoonosis.
AbstractLeptospirosis is an emerging zoonosis with a worldwide distribution but is more commonly found in impoverished populations in developing countries and tropical regions with frequent flooding. The rapid detection of leptospirosis is a critical step to effectively manage the disease and to control outbreaks in both human and animal populations. Culture and the microscopic agglutination test are gold standard methods for leptospirosis diagnosis; however, they are not useful for early diagnosis. PCR is demonstrably useful for early diagnosis, but it is unavailable in most developing countries. Therefore, there is a need for accurate and rapid diagnostic tests and appropriate surveillance and alert systems to identify outbreaks. In this study 50 serums of suspected cases with leptospirosis were referred from certain regions in morocco, to the National Institute of Health in Rabat, Morocco, during 2004 to 2010, Slide Agglutination test (SAT) was used for confirmation. Total number of cases were 23,5,1,0,2,8 and 11. SAT positive results were 20,4,0,0,1,6 and 2, in 2004,2005,2006,2007 ,2008,2009,2010 respectively. The number of males was more than females (31 males and 19 females). The serums were from different regions (Beni Melal, Meknas, Agadir, Rabat, Taza, SalÃ©, Tanger, El Jadidah and Sidi Kacem).
â€¢ AL-ORRY, Waleed et al, â€œ Diagnosis of Human Leptospirosis in Morocco by IgM ELISA and Slide agglutination test (SAT), â€œ International Journal of Innovation and Applied Studies,Vol.14, No.4,pp.1015-1018,2016.
â€¢ BrandÃ£o, A. P., Camargo, E. D., da Silva, E. D., Silva, M. V., &AbrÃ£o, R. V, â€œMacroscopic agglutination test for rapid diagnosis of human leptospirosis â€œ, Journal of clinical microbiology, Vol36 no.11,pp. 3138-3142,1998.
â€¢ Chen, H. W., Zhang, Z., Halsey, E. S., Guevara, C., Canal, E., Hall, E., ... &Ching, W. M.,â€œDetection of Leptospira-specific antibodies using a recombinant antigen-based enzyme-linked immunosorbent assayâ€, The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene, Vol.89 no.6, pp.1088-1094,2013.
â€¢ Chirathaworn, C., Kaewopas, Y., Poovorawan, Y., &Suwancharoen, D. â€œResearch note. Comparison of a slide agglutination test, LeptoTek Dri-Dot, and IgM-ELISA with microscopic agglutination test for Leptospira antibody detectionâ€, Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, Vol.38 no.6, pp.1111-1116,2007.â€
â€¢ Chou, Y. L., Chen, C. S., & Liu, C. C. â€œLeptospirosis in Taiwan, 2001â€“2006â€, Emerging infectious diseases, Vol. 14no.5, pp. 856-857, 2008.â€
â€¢ Costa, F., Hagan, J. E., Calcagno, J., Kane, M., Torgerson, P., Martinez-Silveira, M. S., ...&Ko, A. I. â€œ Global morbidity and mortality of leptospirosis: a systematic reviewâ€, PLoSNegl Trop Dis, Vol.9 no.9, e0003898,2015.
â€¢ Cumberland, P., Everard, C. O., & Levett, P. N. â€œAssessment of the efficacy of an IgM-elisa and microscopic agglutination test (MAT) in the diagnosis of acute leptospirosisâ€, The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene, Vol.61 no.5, 731-734,1999.
â€¢ David A. Haake and Paul N. Levett. Leptospirosis in Humans. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. (2015) .387: 65â€“97.
â€¢ DONNEES EPIDEMIOLOGIQUES DES MALADIES SOUS SURVEILLANCE, BILAN ANNEE , Morocco ; Ministry of Health,2005.
â€¢ Galton, M. M., Powers, D. K., Hall, A. D., & Cornell, R. G.â€ A rapid macroscopicslide screening test for the serodiagnosis of leptospirosis â€œAmerican journal of veterinary research, Vol.19 no.71, pp.505-512,1958.â€
â€¢ H. Rais , la leptospirose a propos de 38 cas. PhD Thesis, nÂ° 127, 97, Morocco,1997
â€¢ HARAJI, M., COHEN, N., KARIB, H., FASSOUANE, A., & BELAHSEN, R. â€œ Forme ictÃ©rique de la Leptospirose Humaine: prÃ©sentation dâ€™un cas Ã El Jadida, Maroc " LES TECHNOLOGIES DE LABORATOIRE, Vol.6no.23, pp.36-41,2011.
â€¢ Katz, A. R., Ansdell, V. E., Effler, P. V., Middleton, C. R., & Sasaki, D. M. â€œLeptospirosis in Hawaii, 1974-1998: epidemiologic analysis of 353 laboratory-confirmed casesâ€ The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene, Vol.66 no.1, pp. 61-70, 2002.
â€¢ Lilenbaum, W., Ristow, P., FrÃ¡guas, S. A., & da Silva, E. D. â€œ Evaluation of a rapid slide agglutination test for the diagnosis of acute canine leptospirosisâ€ REVISTA LATINOAMERICANA DE MICROBIOLOGIA-MEXICO-, Vol.44no.3/4, pp.124-128, 2002.â€
â€¢ McBride, A. J., Santos, B. L., Queiroz, A., Santos, A. C., Hartskeerl, R. A., Reis, M. G., &Ko, A. I. â€œ Evaluation of four whole-cell Leptospira-based serological tests for diagnosis of urban leptospirosis â€œClinical and vaccine immunology, Vol.14no.9, pp.1245-1248,2007.
â€¢ Mohamed ANOUAR SADAT, SEROPREVALENCE DE LA LEPTOSPIROSE CHEZ LES PROFESSIONNELS A RISQUE DE LA VILLE DE CASABLANCA, MÃ©moire de fin dâ€™Ã©tudes,Morocco,2014.
â€¢ Stoenner, H. G., & Davis, E. â€œFurther observations on leptospiral plate antigensâ€ AMERICAN JOURNAL OF VETERINARY RESEARCH, Vol.28 no.122, 259, 1967.â€
â€¢ Thayaparan, S., Robertson, I. D., Fairuz, A., Suut, L., & Abdullah, M. T. â€œLeptospirosis, an emerging zoonotic disease in Malaysiaâ€ Malays J Pathol, Vol. 35 no.2, pp.123-32, 2013â€
â€¢ Vijayachari, P., Sugunan, A. P., Sharma, S., Roy, S., Natarajaseenivasan, K., &Sehgal, S. C. â€œ Leptospirosis in the Andaman Islandsâ€India.Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Vol.102no.2 pp. 117-122, 2008.
â€¢ Vimala, G., Rani, A., &Gopal, V. R. "Leptospirosis in Vellore: A clinical and serological study" International journal of microbiology,Vol.2014, pp:1-5,2014
â€¢ Zhang, C., Wang, H., & Yan, J. â€œ Leptospirosis prevalence in Chinese populations in the last two decadesâ€ Microbes and Infection, Vol.14 no.4, pp.317-323, 2012.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.