Effects of oven drying on the physicochemical composition of eggplant (<em>Solanum Aethiopicum L.</em>)
Keywords:Eggplant; Solanum Aethiopicum, drying, vitamin C
The objective of this work is to determine the effects of oven drying on the physico-chemical composition of eggplant (Solanum Aethiopicum L.). The samples were collected in the field school of the University Jean Lorougnon Guédé in Daloa. The water contents, pH, titratable acidity and vitamin C were determined at different temperatures (50 ° C, 60 ° C, 80 ° C and 90 ° C) and time. Analyzes show that the moisture (92 to 5%), pH (5.67 to 3.44) and vitamin C (1.095 to 0.508 mg EAA / 100g) contents decrease progressively as a function of the drying time and over time. as the temperature rises. However, the titratable acidity contents of eggplants increase (0.0153 to 0.229 meq / 100g) gradually with increasing temperature. Increasing temperature and time lead to a decrease in humidity, pH and vitamin C and an increase in the titratable acidity content of eggplants during drying.
Keywords: Eggplant; Solanum Aethiopicum, drying, vitamin C
A.O.A.C. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th Edn., Association of Official Analytical Chemists,Washington DC., USA., pp: 200-210, (1990).
Barbier. Sustainable nondestructive mangrove-friendly aquaculture in Nigeria I: Ecological and environmental perspectives. Values and ecosystem services of mangroves. 93p, 1994
Board, B.W. Le contrôle de la qualité dans l'industrie du traitement des fruits et légumes. Etude FAO Alimentation et Nutrition (39), 81 p, 1987.
Bougrat, M. L’hypovitaminose C : savoir y penser à partir de quatre cas cliniques.Thèse de Doctorat d’état en médecine. Université de Nantes, (Nantes, France). 2017, 179p.
Christelle, SM., Osty, P.L. and Lardon, S. Comment analyser les transformations de l'activité productrice des agriculteurs Propositions à partir des systèmes techniques de production. Etud.Rech, Syst, Agraire Der, 31 :397-413, (1998).
Greve, C. L., MacArdle, R. N., Gohlke, J.R., Labavitch J. M. "Impact of heating on Carrot Firmness: Changes in cell wall components." J. Agric. Food Chem. 42: 2900-2906, 1994.
Hao, F., Yun, Y. and Tang, J. Microwave Drying of Food and Agricultural Materials: Basics and Heat and Mass Transfer Modeling. Review article. Food Engineer Review. 10(2):884-904, 2012.
Correia, A.F.K., Loro, A.C., Zanatta, S., Spoto, M.H.F. and Vieira, T.M.F.S. Effect of
temperature, time, and material thickness on the dehydration process of tomato. International journal of food science, 15 p, 2015.
Davey, M.W., Montagu, M.V. and Inzé, D. Plant L-ascorbic acid: Chemistry, function, metabolism, bioavailability and effects of processing. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 80 (7): 825 – 860, 2000.
Elgamouz, Le suivi de la teneur de la vitamine C dans un jus Industriel. Mémoire de Master en Chimie des Molécules Bio Actives, Facultés Sciences et Techniques, Université Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdellah, (Fès, Maroc). 54p, 2016.
Ertekin, C. and Yalidz, O. Drying of eggplant and selection of a suitable thin layer drying model. Journal of Food Engineering 63: 349-359, 2004.
Fraile, P. Détermination des caractéristiques d'une cellule de cuisson à vapeur d'eau surchauffée : application à la remise en température d'un plat cuisiné et modélisation. Thèse, Ecole Nationale supérieure des Mines de Paris,(Paris, France). 192p, 1995.
Harisoamahefa, H. Etude des modalités de séchage de fruits et légumes au moyen du séchoir solaire boara; qualités nutritionnelles et microbiologiques des produits obtenus. Mémoire pour l’obtention du diplôme d’étude approfondie de sciences de la vie. Faculté des Sciences. Université d’Antananarivo, (Antananarivo, Madagascar), 113p, 2013.
Huang, J., Zhang, M., Adhikari, B. and Yang, Z. Effect of microwave air spouted drying arranged in two and three stages on the drying uniformity and quality of dehydrated carrot cubes. Journal of Food Engineering. 177, 80-89, 2016.
Igwemmar, N.C. and Kolawole, S.A. Effect of heating on vitamin C content of some selected vegetables. International Journal of Latest Research in Science and Technology, 2013, 2: 210-212
Lahmari, N., Azani, I. and Fahloul, D. Influence des méthodes de séchage sur la qualité des tomates séchées (variété Zahra). Materials Science. 8(2): 3-5, 2012.
Lizada C., Mango. I., Seymour G.B., Taylor J.E. and Tucker G.A. Biochemistry of fruit ripening. London, 465p, 1993.
Ndife J., Elija I., Onwuzuruike A., Ubbor S. and Ojinnaka M. C. Impact of Blanching Pretreatment on the Quality Characteristics of Three Varieties of Oven Dried Eggplant. International Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. 8 (3) 2522-6584, 2019.
Dufour, D., Larsonneur, S., Alarçon, F., Brabet, C. and Chuzel, G. Improving the bread making potential of cassava sour starch. Cali CIAT, 4: 133- 142, (1996).
Okanlawon, S.O., Ibrahim, M.H. and Oyebani, A.O. Effect of pre-drying treatment on the storage of dried tomato. Trop Sci. 42:40–41, 2002. [Google Scholar]
Rehman, Z.U., Islam, M. and Shah, W.H. Effect of microwave and conventional cooking on insoluble dietary fibre components of vegetables. Food Chemistry. 80 (2) : 237-240, 2003.
Ricardo, L.M., Bruno, A.M. and Laurindo, B.J.A. A microwave multi-flash drying process for producing crispy bananas. Journal of Food engineering. 178:1-11, 2016.
Samoticha J., Wojdyło A. and Lech K. The influence of different the drying methods on chemical composition and antioxidant activity in chokeberries. Food Science and Technology. 66p, 2016.
N’zi J., C., Kouamé N’guetta A., Fondio L. and Djidji A. Sangaré A.,. Evolution des populations de Bemisia tabaci Genn. Selon les variétés de tomate (Solanum lycopersicum L.) au Centre de la Côte d’Ivoire. Sciences & Nature. 7 (1) 31-40, 2010.
Vanhanen, L.P., Geoffrey, P.S. and Emmertz, A. Mineral analysis of mono-floral New Zealand honey. Food Chemistry. (1): 236-240, 2011.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Alice Christine Ekissi, Kan Benjamin Kouame, Grah Avit Maxwell Beugre, Séraphin Kati-Coulibaly
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.