Decreasing Blood Cholesterol Levels in Rats Induced by Alginate of <i>Sargassum duplicatum</i> and<i> Turbinaria</i> sp. derived from Yogyakarta
Keywords:alginate, dietary fiber, hypercholesterolemia, body weight
Dietary fiber has beneficial functional effects on health such as lowering blood cholesterol, improve digestive function, lowering the glycemic response and prevent degenerative diseases. Alginate is the main content of the cell walls of brown seaweed and are known to have the content of dietary fiber. However, until now there has never been a study to determine the effect of dietary fiber contained in the alginate mainly extracted from Sargassum and Turbinaria derived from Yogyakarta. This research aims to determine and perform testing of alginate extracted from brown seaweed Sargassum sp. and Turbinaria derived from the rocky beaches in Yogyakarta to decrease blood cholesterol levels. This study concluded that the alginate extracted from brown seaweed Sargassum sp. and Turbinaria sp. obtained from the rocky beach area Wonosari Yogyakarta have the ability to decrease blood cholesterol levels in hypercholesterolemic rats
â€¢ Abrams, J.J and Grundy, S.M. 1981. Cholesterol metabolism in hypothyroid and hyperthyroidism in man. Journal of Lipid Research. 2: 323 -338.
â€¢ Anderson, H. 1994. Effects of carbohydrates on the axcretion of bile acids, cholesterols, and fat from the small bowell. Am J. Clin Nutr. 59 (suppl): 785
â€¢ Behall, M.D. 1997. Dietary fiber. Nutritional lessons for macronutrient substitutes. Annals of the Nork York Academy of sciences. 819: 142-154
â€¢ Brownlee, I.A., Allen, A., Pearson, J.P., Dettmar, P.W., Havler, M.E., Atherton, M.R. and Onsoyen, E. 2005. Alginate as a source of dietary fiber . Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 45 : 497 â€“ 510.
â€¢ Choudhary, M.I., Naheed, S., Jalil, S., Alam, J.M., Atta-ur-Rahman. 2005. Effects of ethanolic extract of Iris germanica on lipid profile of rats fed on a high-fat diet. J. Ethnopharmacol. 98: 217-20.
â€¢ Csont, T., Balogh, G., Csonka, C., Boros, I., Horvath, I., Vigh, L. and Ferdinandy, P. 2002. Hyperlipidemia Induced by High Cholesterol Diet Inhibits Heat Shock Response in Rat Hearts. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 290: 1535â€“1538.
â€¢ Ferreira, I.M.P.L.V., Jorge, K., Nogueira, .LC., Silva, F. and Trugo, L.C. 2005. Effects of the Combination of Hydrophobic Polypeptides, Iso-Alpha Acids, and Malto-Oligosaccharides on Beer Foam Stability. J Agric Food Chem 53 : 4976 â€“ 4981.
â€¢ Gomez-Diaz, D. and Navaza, J.M. 2004. Rheology of Food Stabilizers Blends . J Food Eng 64:143 â€“ 149.
â€¢ Gujral, H.S., Sharma, P., Singh, N. and Sogi, D.S. 2001. Effect of Hydrocolloids on the Rheology of Tamarind Sauce . J Food Sci Technol 38 : 314 â€“ 318.
â€¢ Handayani, T., Sutarno and Setyawan, A.D. 2004. Nutritional composition analysis of seaweed Sargassum crassifolium J. Agardh. Biofarmasi 2 (2): 45-52.
â€¢ Hardiningsih, R., and Nurhidayat, N. 2006. The effect of consuming the hypercholesterolemia rationed food to the body weight of white rats wistar with administration of lactic acid bacteria. Biodiversitas. 7(2): 127-130.
â€¢ Hartoyo, A., Dahrulsyah, Sripalupi, N. dan Nugroho, P. 2008. Pengaruh fraksi karbohidrat kacang komak (Lablab purpureus (L) sweet) terhadap kolesterol dan malonaldehid serum tikus percobaan yang diberi ransum tinggi kolesterol. Jurnal Teknologi dan Industri Pertanian. 119(1): 25-31.
â€¢ Herpandi, Astawan, M., Wresdiyati, T., dan Palupi, N.S. 2006. Change in the profiles lipid, digesta cholesterol and propionic acid of rats fed with of seaweed powder-based diets. Jurnal Teknologi dan Industri Pangan. 17(3): 227-232.
â€¢ Hoad, C.L. , Rayment, P., Spiller, R.C., Marciani, L., De Celis Alonso, B., Traynor, C., Mela, D.J., Peters, H.P.F. and Gowland, P.A. 2004. In Vivo Imaging of Intragastric Gelation and Its Effect on Satiety in Humans . J Nutr 134: 2293 â€“ 2300.
â€¢ Mancini, F., Montanari, L., Peressini, D. and Fantozzi, P. 2002. Influence of Alginate Concentration and Molecular Weight on Functional Properties of Mayonnaise . LWT Food Sci Technol 35 : 517 â€“ 525.
â€¢ Matos, S.L., de Paula H, Pedrosa, M.L., dos Santos, R.C., de Oliveira, E.L., JÃºnior, D.A.C. and Silva, M.E. 2005. Dietary Models for Inducing Hypercholesterolemia in Rats. Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology. 48(2): 203-209.
â€¢ Moriceau, S., Besson, C., Levrat, M.A., Moundras, C., RÃ©mÃ©sy, C., and Morand, C. 2000. Cholesterol-lowering effects of guar gum: changes in bile acid pools and intestinal reabsorption. Lipids. 35: 437-44.
â€¢ Muchtadi, D., Palupi, N.S. dan Astawan, M. 1993. Metabolisme zat gizi: sumber, fungsi, dan kebutuhan bagi manusia. Pustaka Sinar Harapan. Jakarta.
â€¢ Mushollaeni W. 2004. Metode Ekstraksi Alginat dari Rumput Laut Coklat. Laporan Penelitian Universitas Tribhuwana Tunggadewi. Malang.
â€¢ Mushollaeni W. 2007. Ekstraksi Alginat dari Rumput Laut Coklat Jenis Sargassum, spp. dan Turbinaria spp. Laporan Penelitian Dosen Muda. 2007.
â€¢ Mushollaeni W. 2010. Karakterisasi Alginat dari Sargassum sp., Turbinaria sp. dan Padina sp. sebagai Potensi Penghasil Alginat dan Aplikasi pada Produk Pangan. Laporan Penelitian Hibah Bersaing. 2010.
â€¢ Mushollaeni W. 2011a. The Physicochemical Characteristics of Sodium Alginate from Indonesian Brown Seaweeds. African Journal of Food Sci. 5(5): 148-155.
â€¢ Mushollaeni W. 2011b. Karakterisasi Natrium Alginat dari Sargassum sp., Turbinaria sp. dan Padina sp. Jurnal Teknologi dan Industri Pangan. Vol XXII No. 1, September 2011.
â€¢ Mushollaeni W. 2012a. Proses Leaching dan Ekstraksi Natrium Alginat dari Sargassum, Turbinaria dan Padina. Surat Pendaftaran Paten Nomor HKI3-HI.05.01.02.
â€¢ Mushollaeni W. 2012b. Optimizing The Use of Alginate from Sargassum and Padina as Natural Emulsifier and Stabilizer in Cake J.Agric.Food.Tech.,2(7)108-112, 2012
â€¢ Paraskevopoulou, D., Boskou, D. and Paraskevopoulou, A. 2006. Oxidative Stability of Olive Oilâ€“Lemon Juice Salad Dressings Stabilized with Polysaccharides . Food Chem 101 : 1197 â€“ 1204.
â€¢ Samarghandian, S., Mosa-Al-Reza Hadjzadeh, Davari, A.S. and Abachi M. 2011. Reduction of serum cholesterol in hypercholesterolemic rats by Guar gum. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicin. 1(1): 36-42.
â€¢ Silva, M. E., Paula, H., Ansaloni, J. A., Chaves, C. R. C. and Pedrosa, M. L. 2000. Efeito do ChÃ¡ de Urucum (Bixa orellana) sobre parÃ¢metros do metabolismo em lipÃdios em ratos. In: SimpÃ³sio Sul-Brasileiro de AlimentaÃ§Ã£o e NutriÃ§Ã£o: HistÃ³ria, CiÃªncia e Arte. Anais. pp. 231-235.
â€¢ Sutjiatmo, A.B., Sukandar, E.Y., Sinaga, R., Hernawati, R. dan Vikasari, S.N. 2013. Efek Antikolesterol Ekstrak Etanol Daun Cerme (Phyllanthus acidus (L.) skeels) pada Tikus Wistar Betina. Kartika Jurnal Ilmiah Farmasi. 1(1): 1-7.
â€¢ Suzuki, H., Tanaka, M., and Imamura. 1979. Interaction of dietary fat and thyroid function with lipid metabolism of fasted rats. The Journal of Nutrition. 109(8): 1405-12.
â€¢ Winarno, F.G. 1996. Teknologi Pengolahan Rumput Laut. Pustaka Sinar Harapan. Jakarta.
â€¢ Wolf , B.W., Lai, C.S., Kipnes, M.S. , Ataya, D.G., Wheeler, K.B., Zinker, B.A., Garleb, K.A. and Firkins, J.L. 2002. Glycemic and Insulinemic Responses of Nondiabetic Healthy Adult Subjects to an Experimental Acid-Induced Viscosity complex Incorporated into a Glucose Beverage . Nutrition 18: 621 â€“ 626.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.