Electrochemical Remediation of Oil Contaminated Fine Grained Soil
Keywords:This paper aims to investigate the effectiveness of electrochemical method as a remediation technique for oil contaminated clayey soil. Experimental setup consists of a square box made up of acrylic sheets, pair of graphite electrodes and a DC power suppl
This paper aims to investigate the effectiveness of electrochemical method as a remediation technique for oil contaminated clayey soil. Experimental setup consists of a square box made up of acrylic sheets, pair of graphite electrodes and a DC power supply. Soil contaminated by diesel engine oil was taken for the testing. The contaminated soil was treated under the current generated by a constant potential. Results showed that a significant reduction in oil content was obtained after electrochemical treatment. Compared to conventional methods followed for contaminated soil remediation, electro chemical treatment was found to be an effective method.
A.Arutselvam,,â€œSoft Clay Stabilization Using Electro Kinetic Processâ€, International Journal On Engineering Technology and Sciences â€“ IJETSâ„¢ISSN(P): 2349-3968, ISSN (O): 2349-3976,Volume I, Issue II, June â€“ 2014
Chih-Huang Weng and Hao-Wen Tsai â€œ A pilot-scale test of electrokinetic remediation of cr(vi) Contaminated kaolinite incorporated with zero-valent ironâ€ J. Environ. Eng. Manage., 19(6), 379-387 ,2009.
Claudio Cameselle, Susana Gouveia, Djamal Eddine Akretche and Boualem Belhad â€œAdvances in Electrokinetic Remediation for the Removal of Organic Contaminants in Soilsâ€ (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0),2013.
Deqian Huan, Quan Xu, Jiongjia Cheng, Xiaocheng Lu, and Hong Zhang , â€œElectrokinetic Remediation and Its Combined Technologies for Removal of Organic Pollutants from Contaminated Soilsâ€ Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 7 (2012) 4528 â€“ 4544,2012.
Elisa Ferrarese,Gianni Andreottola,â€œApplication Of Electrochemical Techniques For The Remediation Of Soils Contaminated With Organic Pollutantsâ€ Proceedings of the Annual International Conference on Soils, Sediments, Water and Energy, Article 26,2010.
Husam Damen Al-Hamaiedh , Omer Nawaf Maaitah, â€œTreatment of oil polluted soil using electrochemical methodâ€ Alexandria Engineering Journal (50), 105â€“110,2011.
Kevin Gardner,â€œ Electrochemical Remediation and Stabilization of Contaminated Sedimentsâ€, A Final Report Submitted to The NOAA/UNH Cooperative Institute for Coastal and Estuarine Environmental Technology (CICEET),2005.
K.L Njoku,, M.O Akinola, And B.O Oboh, â€œPhytoremediation of crude oil contaminated soil: the effect of growth of glycine max on the physico- chemistry and crude oil contents of soilâ€,Nature and Science 7(10),2009.
Krishna R. Reddy and Claudio Cameselle â€œOverview of electrochemical remediation technologiesâ€
M Pavithra and Indumathi M Nambi â€œ NAPL Contamination In Soil And Aquifer â€“ An Endeavor Towards Creating Awarenessâ€ ISSN 2249-6149 Issue 2, Vol.2 ,March-2012
Nahesson Hotmarama Panjaitan, Ahmad Rifai , Agus Darmawan Adi and P.Sumardi â€œThe phenomenon of electromigration during electrokinetic process on expansive clayey soilâ€ International Journal of Civil & Environmental Engineering IJCEE-IJENS Vol:12 No:04,2012.
Nasim Mosavat, Erwin Oh and Gary Chai â€œA Review of Electrokinetic Treatment Technique for Improving the Engineering Characteristics of Low Permeable Problematic Soilsâ€ Int. J. of Geomate, June, 2012, Vol. 2,2012.
Sung-Woo Parka, Jae-Young Leeb, Jung-Seok Yangc, Kyoung-Jo Kima, Kitae Baek , â€œElectrokinetic remediation of contaminated soil with waste- lubricant oils and Zincâ€ Journal of Hazardous Materials(169) 1168â€“1172,2009.
Vladimir a. Korolev, â€œElectrokinetic Remediation of a Contaminated land in Citiesâ€ IAEG Paper number 134,2006.
Y.B Acar ,A.N Alshawabkehâ€œPrinciples of electrokinetic remediationâ€,Environmental Science and Technology 27 ( 13 ): 2638 â€“ 2647,1983.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.