Using of Isolated Hydroxyapatite from Sheep Bones to Remove Lead (II) from Aqueous Solution and Studying the Thermodynamics and Adsorption Isotherm
Keywords:Hydroxyapatite, AdsorptionIsotherm, Lead (II), Thermodynamics
In this paper, Cleaned sheep's bone pieces were heated at 1100Â°C to isolate hydroxyapatite(HAP). FTIR spectrometry and the X-ray diffractiometry was confirmed the presence of HAP. Kinetic batch experiments were used to study the adsorption behavior ofÂ Pb2+ in HAP. The isothermal models Langmuir, Freundlich, Temkin and Dubinin-Kaganer-Radushevich (DKR) were applied to describe the adsorption properties by investigation the contact time, lead concentration and temperature. The equilibrium uptake of lead ions by isolated hydroxyapatite was fitted with Langmuir isotherm model. Thermodynamic parameters free energy change (Î”Go), enthalpy change (Î”Ho) and entropy change were also calculated for adsorption process of lead and the results indicated that the adsorption reaction were spontaneous(âˆ†Go<0), endothermic (âˆ†H o>0) and pseudo first and second order both fitted the adsorption process of lead ions on isolated hydroxyapatite.
Shalaby S.W., Salz U.,"Polymers for Dental and Orthopedics Applications" Ch.3, pp. 79-80, CRC press ,Boca Raton.2007.
Chakraborty S., Bag S., Pal S., Mukherjee A.K.,structural and microstructural characterization of bioapatite using X-ray powder diffraction and Fourier transform infrared technique J. Appl. Cryst.,vol. 39, pp.385-390, 2006.
Markovie M., Fowler B.O., Tung M.S., Preparation and Comprehensive Characterization of a Calcium Hydroxyapatite Reference Material, J. Res. Natl. Inst. Technol., vol.109, pp.553-568, 2004.
- Morales J.G., Burgues J.T., Fraile T.B., Clemente R.R., Precipitation of Stoichiometric Hydroxyapatite by a Continuous Method Cryst. Res. Technol., vol.36, pp.15-26, 2001.
Mucalo M.R., Foster D.L., Wielage B., Steinhaeuser S., Mucha H., Knichton D., Kirby J., J . Appl. Biomat. Biomech , vol.2, pp.96-104,2004.
Mucalo M.R., Foster D.L., A method for Avoiding the Xanthoproteic-associated Discolouration in Reprecipitated (Nitric-acid-digested) Hydroxyapatite Prepared from Mammalian Bone Tissue, Croat. Chem. Acta., vol.77, pp.509-517, 2004.
Danilchenko S.N., Koropov A.V., Protsenko I.Y., Cleff B.S., Sukhadob L.F., Thermal behavior of biogenic apatite crystals in bone: An X-ray diffraction study. Cryst. Res. Technol., vol.41, pp.268-275, 2006.
Needleman H.L., Bone lead levels in adjudicated delinquents: A case control study. Neurotox. Teratol., vol.24,pp.711-717, 2002.
Patrick L., Lead Toxicity, A Review of the Literature. Part I: Exposure, Evaluation, and Treatment, Altern. Med. Review, vol.1, no.1, pp.1-22, 2006.
Ooi C.Y, Hamdi M.,Ramesh S., Properties of hydroxyapatite produced by annealing of bovine bone. Ceram. Inter., vol.33, 1171-1177, 2007.
Featherstone J.D., Pearson S., Geros R.Z., An infrared method for quantification of carbonate in carbonated apatites, Caries Res., vol.18, pp.63-66, 1984.
Rogers K.D., Daniels P., An X-ray diffraction study of the effects of heat treatment on bone mineral microstructure, Biomaterials, vol.23, pp. 2577-2585,2003.
Wien T., "Measurement and Acquisition of X-Ray Diffractometry Spectra", Ch. 9, pp. 748-752, Warsaw, 1995.
Pardo B. , Megademini T., AndrÃ© J.M., X-UV Synthetic Interference Mirrors : Theoretical Approach ,Revue. Phys. Appl. vol.23, pp. 1579-1597, 1988.
.Zamani Z., Salahi E., Mobaserpour I., Removal of Nickel from Aqueous Solution by Nano- Hydroxyapatite Originated from Persian Gulf Corals. Canadian Chemical Transactions, Vol.1, no.3,pp.173-190,2013.
Shukla S.S., Yu, L.J. Dorris, K.L. Shukla A., Removal of Nickel from Aqueous Solution by sawdust, J.Hazard. Mater,. Vol.121, pp.243-246,2005.
Doan, H.D. Wu, J. Mitzakov R., Combined electrochemical and biological treatment of industrial wastewater using porous electrodes, J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., vol.81,pp. 1398-1408, 2006.
Layla B A., Al-Najar A.A., Kadhim Z. N., Adsorption and Desorption Characteristics of Bispyribac-Sodium Pesticide in Eight Soil south of Iraq,Inter, J. Sci. Eng. Rese.vol.6, no7,pp. 1689-1700, 2015.
Langmuir I., The adsorption of gases on plane surface of glass, mica and platinum, J. Am.Chem.Soc.,vol.40, no.9,pp.1361-1403, 1918.
Freundlich H.M.F.,Uber die adsorption in losungen, (Over the adsorption in solution) Z.Phys.Chem., vol.57, pp.385-470, 1906.
Temkin M.I., Pyzhev V., Kinetics of ammonia synthesis on promoted iron catlyst, Acta Phys. Chim., USSR vo.12,pp.327-356, 1940.
Dubinin M.M., Zaverina E.D., Radushkevich L.V., Sorption and structure of active carbons, J. Phy. Chem., vol.21, pp. 1351-1362, 1947.
Lagergren S., Zur theorie der sogenannten adsorption geloster stoffe, Kunglia Svenska Vetenskapsakad,Handl,vol.24, pp.1-39,1898.
Ho. Y.S., McKay G., pesudo-second order model for sorption processes, Biochem. vol.34, pp.451-465, 1999.
Meski S., Ziani S., KhireddineH., Boudboub S. Zaidi S., Fatrorial design analysis for sorption of zinc on hydroxyapatite, J. Hazard. Mater. vol. 186, 1007-1017,2011.
Valsami-Jones E., Rangarsdottir K.V., Putnis A., Basbachb D., Kemp A.J., Cressey G., The dissolution of apatite in the presence of aqueous metal cations at pH 2-7, Chem. Geol. vol 151, pp. 215- 233, 1998.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.