Design of Anti-Vehicle Theft System using GSM and GPS with Image Acquisition
Keywords:GPS, GSM, ATMEGA Microcontroler, Camera
This paper presentsâ€˜An Anti-Vehicle Theft System using GSM and GPS with Image Acquisitionâ€™. The aim is to design a system that can acquire the image of an unauthorized person and transmit it to a remote location. In order to achieve such a system, the major components used include a GSM modem with integrated GPS, a camera and a microcontroller (ATmega2560). The system makes use of a secret button for authentication of the driver. The secret button is connected and programmed in such a way that when the engine is started, a five minutes window is given to the driver to authenticate by pressing the secret button. If the driver does so, the security of the system is changed to tracking mode (implying that the vehicle coordinate is continually sent to an E-mail address) every fifty (50) minutes as the driver drives the vehicle. In a situation whereby the driver forgets to authenticate within five minutes, the system will shut down the engine but all the driver has to do is to authenticate by pressing the secret button and then switch on his engine. Assuming the vehicle is actually stolen (knowing that the thief is not aware of the security system because everything is hidden), the time window will elapse without authentication. At this point the system enters the alarm mode, implying the vehicle has been stolen. The camera then snaps the thief, the GPS picks the coordinate while the GSM modem transmit such data to the ownerâ€™s E-mail address which can be accessed from a smartphone. With this data at hand, the thief can be declared wanted and arrested later. The vehicle cannot be restarted until the secret button is pressed. A prototype of the security system was developed and it was seen that when the security button is not pressed after starting the engine, the vehicle is immobilized. The engine could not be started until the security button was pressed. The owner of the vehicle then received an E-mail containing the image of the unauthorized person and the co-ordinate of the vehicle, implying that his vehicle has been stolen.Â
The alarming rate of car theft in Abuja,[online].Available: www.abujafacts.ng 23 Nov 2015
Auto theft [online] Available www.iii.org/issue-update 16th Mar 2016
Abid k. and Ravi M, â€œGPS â€“ GSM Based Tracking Systemâ€International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology,Volume3, Issue 2- 2012
Baburao K., et al, â€œGSM and GPS Based Vehicle Location And Tracking Systemâ€International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA) Vol. 1, Issue 3, pp.616-625
PankajVerma and Bhatia J.S, â€œDesign And Development Of Gps-Gsm based Tracking System with Google map Based Monitoringâ€ International Journal of Computer Science, Engineering and Applications (IJCSEA) Vol.3, No.3, June 2013
Pravada P. W. and Dahad S. O, â€œReal Time Vehicle Locking and Tracking System using GSM and GPS Technology-An Anti-theft Systemâ€ International Journal of Technology And Engineering System(IJTES): Vol.2.No.3, Jan â€“March 2011
Madhuri U. et al., â€œRemote Vehicle Tracking & Driver Health Monitoring System Using GSM Modem & Google Mapsâ€, International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies, Vol. 5 (3) , pp. 2828-2832, 2014.
Albert A. and Ezhilarasie R., â€œCloud Computing Based Vehicle Tracking Information Systemsâ€ International Journal of Computer Science and Technology Vol. 2, Issue 1, March 2011.
Kale S. B. and Satyajit A. P., â€œDesign and Development of Low Cost Automotive Vehicular Communication System Based on ARMâ€ International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology (IJEAT) ISSN: Volume-3, Issue-5, June 2014
Muruganandham and Mukesh P.R., â€œReal Time Web based Vehicle Tracking using GPSâ€ World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology pp.91-99, 2010
Modi N. D., â€œVehicle tracking system with GPS GSM Interface and Self-Created Mapâ€ International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management (IJAIEM) Volume 3, Issue 4, April 2014
Pethakar S.S. et al., â€œGPS and GSM based Vehicle Tracing and Employee Security Systemâ€ International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 â€“ 8887) Volume 62â€“ No.6, January 2013
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.