Laurel Tangyuan and Fuwan Chocolate Incident - How to do better people-oriented external communication
Keywords:External Communication, People-Oriented, Laurel Tang Yuan (Tangyuan), Fuwan Chocolate
The "Fuwan Chocolate", which originated in Pingtung, Taiwan, is a world-famous chocolate brand. In 2020, “Fuwan” won the gold medal during the “World Chocolate Competition”, which known as the "Oscar Award” in the chocolate industry. After winning the grand prize, "Fuwan Chocolate" took advantage of the momentum and launched joint products with well-known brands, such as Laurel Corp (Tangyuan). Unexpectedly, the father of Fuwan’s CEO sexually harassed a female intern five years ago, and the CEO also scolded the victim for the chaotic private life after his father being accused. This old matter that has been 5 years was brought up to the stage again this year. Although Fuwan apologized on their Facebook fan page afterwards, it was not accepted by netizens. After three weeks of uproar, its co-branded manufacturer Laurel announced the suspension of production of chocolate flavor tangyuan in collaboration with Fuwan. Many well-known Taiwanese manufacturers also followed the step in the meanwhile. The established credibility and image are now seriously damaged. This study is mainly to discuss the external communication methods and processing results of "Fuwan" and "Laurel" by comparing the pros and cons of their processing methods. We hope this research will be able to provide a better people-oriented communication method that may combined with local condition as a reference when same incident once happened in the future.
Stephie Chiu (2018) Fuwan is super. Fuwan won 2 gold medals in the 2018 AOC campaign, Magazine Title, Shopping Design. Retrived from https://www.shoppingdesign.com.tw/post/view/2918
Zhang, Yuan-Zhang (2018) Taiwan Chocolate won 2 gold medals in the 2018 AOC campaign, Magazine Title, Epoch Times Taiwan. Retrived from https://www.epochtimes.com/gb/18/5/19/n10408748.htm
Kuo, Si-Yu (2019) Taiwa Chocolate Won Again, Fuwan won the International Chocolate Awards again. Magazine Title, Shopping Design. Retrived from https://www.shoppingdesign.com.tw/post/view/4826
Hsu, Shin-Yi (2020) An interview with Fuwan CEO – By using a Tree to bar model to make a famious Taiwan chocolate around the world. Magazine Title, Shopping Design. Retrived from https://www.shoppingdesign.com.tw/post/view/5120
Economic Daily News (2020) Laurel does not only ”Tangyuan” in winter! How does the 50-year-old frozen food dominator make consumers pay all year round? MagazineTitle, Buisness Next. Retrived from https://www.bnext.com.tw/article/57474/laurel-50
Ho, Show-Ling (2020) Not only sells ”Tangyuan” in the winter, but the laurels hope that you will buy their frozen foods for all seasons Magazine Title, Manager today. Retrived from https://www.managertoday.com.tw/articles/view/59668
Tsai, Lu-Hang (2018) The secret of precise succession. Magazine Title, ET Today. Retrived from https://finance.ettoday.net/news/1314083
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 WenWei Liao, YuShun Pon, WenWen Yang, WeiTsen Lin
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.