Personal Branding and Behavioural Changes among the Millennial Generations in the Social Media
Keywords:personal branding, millennial generation, behavioural changes, social media
The use of the social media Instagram in Indonesia has resulted in significant impact toward the behavioural changes among the millennial generations of the nation. With regards to the statement, branding becomes a general activity that has been performed in the domain of marketing especially in today’s context. Branding might be performed in order to discern from one product of another so that the peculiar characteristics of the given product might appear to the surface. However, due to the development of the branding context, branding has penetrated many lines and this penetration also impacts the development of an individual in changing his or her behaviours within the social media alone. Therefore, throughout the study, there will be an analysis toward the formation of the celebgram’s personal branding that might alter the behaviours of the millennial generations whose identities have been prominent in the social media such as Instagram and Youtube. During the conduct of the study, the celebgram that had been analysed was Awkarin. Awkarin is a female adolescent who has suddenly become famous due to the various contents in her Instagram Account. In response to this finding, the study has been compelled to identify the personal branding of Awkawin in the Digital Public Relation of Instagram and to identify the existence of followers’ imitation toward the celebgram Awakarin in the social media Instagram. The reason is that such imitation will be peculiar existence for a celebgram who has suddenly become famous in the social media. The presence of the behavioural changes that Awkarin has pursued become a peculiar business or existence upon her individual development over the social media.
• Abdussalam, Jepara Package Design Skill Development and Use of Promotion Media and Online Marketing At Kube Ash-Shidiqqy and Pik Abdussalam Jepara, Techno.COM Jurnal, Vol. 16, No. 1, Februari 2017.
• Asosiasi Penyelenggara Jasa Internet Indonesia (APJII) , https://www.apjii.or.id/survei2017
• Flew, Terry. New Media: An Introduction. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.
• Haroen Dewi, Personal branding Kunci Kesuksesan Berkiprah di Dunia Politik, Gramedia, Jakarta, 2014.
• Kementerian Komunikasi Dan Informatika Republik Indonesia. Survei Pengguna Internet 2017. https://kominfo.go.id/content /detail/
• Mc Nally & Speak, Be Your Own Brand, Gramedia, Jakarta, 2004.
• Nabila, Marsha. (Dailysocial.id). Survei Mastel-APJII: Pengguna Internet Butuh Campur Tangan Pemerintah Lindungi Privasi dan Data Pribadi (01 Desember 2017) https://dailysocial.id/post/survei-mastel-apjii-pengguna-internet-butuh-campur-tangan-pemerintah-lindungi-privasi-dan-data-pribadi Diakses tanggal 04 April 2018.
• Rampersad, Hubert K. Authentic. 2009. Personal Branding. North Carolina: Age Publishing.
• Severin, Wener J, James W. Tankard, Jr. 2001. Teori Komunikasi : Sejarah, Metode, dan Terapan di Dalam Media Massa. Jakarta:Kencana Prenada Media Group.
• Shirky Clay, Internet Lewat E-Mail, (Jakarta: PT Elex Media Komputindo, 1995).
• Subiakto, Utamie Vania, Political Advertising On Mass Media Construction, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 9, Issue 12, December 2019, ISSN 2250-3153
• An interview with Dwi Rahayu Ita Susanti on Saturday, March 23rd, 2019
• An interview with Aditya Rasyidi on Saturday, March 30th, 2019
• An interview with Lisna Ariestyka on Saturday, March 30th, 2019
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Ervan Ismail
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.