A New Approach for Finding the Initial Solution of the Unbalanced Transportation Problem
Keywords:Transportation problem, unbalanced transportation problem, initial basic feasible solution, Vogel’s approximation method
A transportation problem deals with two different problems balanced transportation problem or unbalanced transportation problem. This paper points out how Goyal’s modification of Vogel’s approximation method for the unbalanced transportation problem can be improved by subtracting or adding suitable constants to the cost matrix, rows and columns of the cost matrix. In this paper, a new method is proposed for solving unbalanced transportation problem which gives optimal or very near to optimal solution.
Ahmad Q. S., “A new approach for initial solution of transportation problem”, The Manager, ISSN: 0973-8231, Vol. 3, No.1, 65-66, January-June, 2008.
Dantzig, G.B., Linear Programming and Extensions, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1963.
Goyal S. K., “A note on a heuristic for obtaining an initial solution for the transportation problem”, Journal of Operational Research Society, Vol. 42(9), 819-821, 1991.
Goyal S. K., “Improving VAM for unbalanced transportation problems”, Journal of Operational Research Society, Vol. 35, pp. 1113-1114, 1984.
Kirca O. and Satir A., “A heuristic for obtaining an initial solution for the transportation problem”, Journal of Operational Research Society, Vol. 41(9), pp. 865-871, 1990.
Murthy K. G., Linear and Combinatorial Programming, Wiley (Inter Science), New York, 1976
Ramakrishnan C. S., “An improvement to Goyal’s modified VAM for the unbalanced transportation problem”, Journal of Operational Research Society, Vol. 39, pp. 609-610, 1988.
Reinfeld N. V. and Vogel W. R., Mathematical Programming, pp. 59-70. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1958
Sharma, R. R. K. and K. D. Sharma, “A new dual based procedure for the transportation problem”, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.122 (3), pp. 611-624, 2000.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Asian Journal of Business and Management
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under aÂ Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.