An Effect of Biosolar-Water Emulsion on Small Marine Diesel Engine
Keywords:biodiesel, B20, water/biosolar emulsion 10%, water/biosolar emulsion 15%, engine performance.
This study aims to analyze the effect of water/biosolar emulsion fuel on the performance of engine diesel used in small capacity diesel engines. The fuel used is a mixture of biosolar 20% which is added 10% and 15% water (b20,WDE 10%, WDE 15%) which will be compared with dexlite fuel and biodiesel 20% (b20). Measurement of engine performance with various fuels was carried out in accordance with IMO marine engine regulation tier 3. The water-emulsified diesel could be used in the light-duty small diesel engine without modifications. The result shows that the net diesel fuel consumption and the exhaust gas temperature decreased with increasing water content of fuels over the investigated loading range.
Performance produced by DWE 10% and 15% will been reduce Power, and Torque at each RPM. In detail, DWE 10% has better results than the DWE 15%. In the NOx emission test results, the use of water/biodiesel emulsified fuels 10% and 15% can reduce NOx emissions.
â€¢ A. Alahmer, â€œInfluence of using emulsified diesel fuel on the performance and pollutants emitted from diesel engineâ€,Energy Convers Manage, 73 (2013), pp. 361-369
â€¢ A.M.A. Attia, A.R. Kulchitskiy, â€œInfluence of the structure of water-in-fuel emulsion on diesel engine performanceâ€, Fuel, 116 (2014), pp. 703-708
â€¢ A.M. Ithnin, H. Noge, H. Abdul Kadir, W. Jazair, An overview of utilizing water-in-diesel emulsion fuel in diesel engine and its potential research studyâ€, J Energy Inst, 87 (2014), pp. 273-288
â€¢ A. Lif, K. Holmberg â€œWater-in-diesel emulsions and related systemsâ€, Adv Colloid Interface, 123 (2006), pp. 231-239
â€¢ Beny Cahyono, Aguk Zuhdi Muhammad Fathallah, Nauval Pahlevi, â€œEffect of Water Fuel Emulsion on Performance and NOx Emissions of Diesel Engineâ€, International Journal of Marine Engineering Innovation and Research (2017)
â€¢ J. Hill, E. Nelson, D. Tilman, S. Polasky, D.Tiffany,â€Environmental, economic, and energetic costs and benefits of biodiesel and ethanol biofuelsâ€, Proc Natl Acad Sci, 103 (2006), pp. 11206-11210, 10.1073/pnas.0604600103
â€¢ J. Tickell, K. Roman, â€œFrom the fryer to the fuel tank: the complete guide to using vegetable oil as an alternative fuelâ€, Joshua Tickell Media Productions, New Orleans, LA (2003)
â€¢ Hagos FY, Tan IM. â€œWater-in-diesel emulsion and its micro-explosion phenomenon-reviewâ€. Communication Software and Networks (ICCSN), 2011 IEEE 3rd International Conference on: IEEE; 2011. p. 314â€“8.
â€¢ K. Subramanian. â€œA comparison of waterâ€“diesel emulsion and timed injection of water into the intake manifold of a diesel engine for simultaneous control of NO and smoke emissionsâ€, Energy Convers Manage, 52 (2011), pp. 849-857
â€¢ M. T. Ghannam &M. Y. E. Selim, â€œStability Behavior of Water-in-Diesel Fuel Emulsionâ€,Pages 396-411 | Published online: 11 Mar (2009)
â€¢ M. Huo, S. Lin, H. Liu, C.-f.F. Lee. â€œStudy on the spray and combustion characteristics of water-emulsified diesel Fuelâ€, 123 (2014), pp. 218-229
â€¢ M. Lapuerta, O. Armas, J. RodrÃguez-FernÃ¡ndez â€Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel engine emissionsâ€ Prog Energy Combust Sci, 34 (2008), pp. 198-223, 10.1016/j.pecs.2007.07.001
â€¢ M. Lapuerta, J. RodrÃguez-FernÃ¡ndez, O. Armas; â€œCorrelation for the estimation of the density of fatty acid esters fuels and its implications. A proposed biodiesel cetane indexâ€, Chem Phys Lipids, 163 (2010), pp. 720-727, 10.1016/j.chemphyslip.2010.06.004
â€¢ L.C. Meher, D. Vidya Sagar, S.N. Naik, â€œTechnical aspects of biodiesel production by transesterificationâ€”a reviewâ€, Renew Sustain Energy Rev, 10 (2006), pp. 248-268, 10.1016/j.rser.2004.09.002
â€¢ R.O. Dunn; â€Cold-flow properties of soybean oil fatty acid monoalkyl ester admixtures Energy Fuelsâ€, 23 (2009), pp. 4082-4091, 10.1021/ef9002582
â€¢ S.-H. Liu, Y.-C. Lin, K.-H. Hsu, â€œEmissions of regulated pollutants and PAHs from waste-cooking-oil biodiesel-fuelled heavy-duty diesel engine with catalyzerâ€,Aerosol Air Qual Res (2012), p. 12
â€¢ T. Kadota, H. Yamasaki, â€œRecent advances in the combustion of water fuel emulsionâ€, Prog Energy Combust Sci, 28 (2002), pp. 385-404
â€¢ US Department of Energy: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. Biodiesel Blends. <http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/biodiesel_blends.html>; n.d. [accessed October 13, 2015].
â€¢ US Environmental Protection Agency. <http://www.epa.gov/>; 2014 [accessed November 15, 2014].
â€¢ W. Yuan, A.C. Hansen, Q. Zhang, â€œPredicting the physical properties of biodiesel for combustion modelingâ€, Trans ASAE, 46 (2003), pp. 1487-1493, 10.13031/2013.15631
â€¢ Y.C. Chang, W.J. Lee, H.H. Yang, L.C. Wang, J.H. Lu, Y.I. Tsai, et.al., â€œReducing emissions of persistent organic pollutants from a diesel engine by fueling with water-containing butanol diesel blendsâ€,Environ Sci Technol, 48 (2014), pp. 6010-6018
â€¢ Y.-C. Chang, W.-J. Lee, S.-L. Lin, L.-C. ,â€WangGreen energy: water-containing acetoneâ€“butanolâ€“ethanol diesel blends fueled in diesel enginesâ€, Appl Energy, 109 (2013), pp. 182-191
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.