Evaluating Environmental Factors through a BL-Algebra
Keywords:BL-Algebras, Type-2 fuzzy sets, Quality of life, Environmental evaluation.
In this paper a method for environmental evaluation based on type-2 fuzzy sets and a BL-algebra defined therein is illustrated. Introduced by L. Zadeh in 1975, fuzzy sets allow to represent imprecise knowledge in a simple and effective way by carrying out algebraic computations on linguistic elements. In this evaluation model every environmental indicator (security, facilities, environment, social impact, and so on) is a type-2 fuzzy set. This approach has been utilized both to rank the quality of life in some Italian cities and then the environmental quality of four sites for a domestic airport near Reykjavik. As regards the Italian cities this approach produces results similar to those obtained by statistical methods but one gets a linguistic classification of cities and not a numerical one. Also as regards the sites for the airport, the results are similar but the linguistic expressivity is greatly enhanced.
Bin Zhang, Mingliang Luo, Maolin Deng, Nanshan Ai, Chengbo Yi: â€œEvaluation of Human Settlement for
Environment-Friendly City Based on Fuzzy Matter-Elementâ€, ESIAT (1) 2009, pp.300-303, 2009
Chao-Ton Su, Fang-Fang Wang: â€œIntegrated fuzzy-connective-based aggregation network with real-valued genetic
algorithm for quality of life evaluationâ€, Neural Computing and Applications 21(8), pp.2127-2135, 2012
Chen,Y., Paydar Z.: â€œEvaluation of potential irrigation expansion using a spatial fuzzy multi-criteria decision
frameworkâ€, Environmental Modelling and Software 38, pp.147-157, 2012
Di Lascio L., Fischetti E., Gisolfi A., Nappi A.: â€œType-2 Fuzzy Decision Making by means of a BL-algebraâ€, IEEE
Int. Conf. Fuzzy Systems, London, pp.1-6, 2007
Dossier â€œQualitÃ della Vita 2015â€, Il Sole 24 Ore, Italian newspaper, December 20th 2015
Fischetti, E.: â€œA BL-Algebra on Type-2 Fuzzy Setsâ€, Asian J. Fuzzy and Applied Mathematics, 1, 1, pp.12-20, 2013
Fischetti, E.: â€œA BL-Algebra-Based Method for Fuzzy Screeningâ€, Asian J. Fuzzy and Applied Mathematics, 2, 2,
Fischetti, E.: â€œA Fuzzy-Based Approach to E-Learning Evaluationâ€, Asian J. Fuzzy and Applied Mathematics, 3, 2,
HÃ¡jek P.: â€œBasic fuzzy logic and BL-algebrasâ€ Soft Computing, 2(3), pp.124-128, 1998
Haofang Wang, Sulin Song, Wenyan Chen: â€œChange Tendency Evaluation of Water Environment Quality Based
on Fuzzy Clustering Analysisâ€, FSKD (6) 2009, pp.128-130, 2009
Hong Hua, Juan Fan, Lu Wu: â€œFuzzy Decision-Making and Evaluation of Environmental Quality Improvement for
Residential Areaâ€, FSKD (6) 2009, pp.222-226, 2009
Jing-Yuan Han, Yan-Bo Yang, Yun-He Zhao: â€œEvaluation of entrepreneurial environment based on fuzzy
comprehensive evaluation methodâ€, ICMLC 2012, pp.305-309, 2012
Kahraman C., Sari I.U.: â€œMulticriteria Environmental Risk Evaluation Using Type II Fuzzy Setsâ€, IPMU (4)
, pp.449-457, 2012
Karnik N.N., Mendel J.M : â€œOperations on Type-2 Fuzzy Setsâ€œ , Int. J. Fuzzy Sets Systems, 122, pp.327-348, 2001
Klir G. J., Yuan B.: â€œFuzzy sets end fuzzy logic: theory and applicationâ€, Prentice - Hall, 1995
Lele C.: â€œAlgorithms and Computations in BL-Algebrasâ€, Int. J. Artificial Life Research, 1, 4, pp.29-47, 2010
Mendel J.M., â€œType-2 Fuzzy Sets Made Simpleâ€œ, IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems, 10, pp.117-127, 2002
Solnes E.J., Porgeirsson A.: â€œEnvironmental and Socio-Economic Evaluation for Four Different Sites for a
Domestic Airportâ€, Environmental Modeling and Assessment, 11, pp.59-68, 2006
Yaolin Liu, Limin Jiao, Yanfang Liu, Jianhua He: â€œA self-adapting fuzzy inference system for the evaluation of
agricultural landâ€, Environmental Modelling and Software 40, pp.226-234, 2013
Zadeh L. A.: â€œFuzzy Setsâ€, Information and Control, 8, 3, pp.338-353, 1965
Zadeh L.A.: â€œThe Concept of a Linguistic Variable and its Application to Approximate Reasoning I, II, IIIâ€,
Information Sciences 8, pp.199-249, 8, pp.301-357, 9, pp.43-80, 1975
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.