Decommissioning Plans for Fixed Offshore Platforms: A Brief Revision
Keywords:Offshore, Dismantling, Decommissioning, Oilfield
Brazil began to explore its seas in the 60’s of the XX Century looking for petroleum. This journey began in the Northeast and the first oil field produced offshore was the Guaricema Field, in the State of Sergipe. During the 70’s, Petrobrás found oil in the Campos Basin, between the States of Espírito Santo and Rio de Janeiro, that became the most important oil province in Brazil until the discovery of the Pre-Salt province, in the Santos Basin. As these fields are producing for a long time, many of them are already completely depleted or their production is in way of to be not commercial anymore, and their facilities need to be decommissioned. This review of decommissioning practices of fixed offshore platforms carried out worldwide has focus on the removal of topside with special vessels designed for this purpose or with conventional methods (crane vessels + barge). It will show the benefits of using specialised heavy lift vessels to remove the topsides and move it to shore for dismantling / recycling / reuse / disposal. The cases for study were the successful decommissioning projects in the North Sea: Brent B/D, Valhall QP, Viking, Curlew, Eider A, Golden Eye and Leman, Iwaki-Oki, Halfweg Q1, Yme and Ninian North.
Cláudio Paschoa, http://pt.oedigital.com/news/descomissionamento-brasil-nova-fronteira-277224, aceessed in 08/02/2020;
Yuzo Toya, Yasukoto Fujisaki, Summary of Iwaki Oki Platform Decommissioning, Journal of the Japanese Association for Petroleum Technology, 2012;
Offshore Magazine - Decommissioning activity on the decline in the Gulf of Mexico, 01/08/2018, https://www.offshore-mag.com/field-development/article/16762274/decommissioning-activity-on-the-decline-in-the-gulf-of-mexico. Accessed in 08/02/2020.
Shell, Golden Eye Decommissioning Programmes, report nº GDP-S-AA-8203-00001, October/2019, https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/ government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/846268/GDP-PT-S-AA-8203-00001_A08_final.pdf. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Sapura 3000 Brochure, https://sapuraenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Sapura-3000.pdf. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Shell, Brent Decommissioning Program, Brent Delta Topside Decommissioning Programme, https://www.shell.co.uk/sustainability/ decommissioning/brent-field-decommissioning/brent-field-downloads/ _jcr_content/par/tabbedcontent/tab_1190828776/textimage.stream/1519761050419/f9e5eb4edfffe625ce2117e3086818f5d74c491f/brent-delta-topside-decommissioning-programme-june-2015-final-draft.pdf. Accessed in 12/11/2019;
Shell, Brent Field Topsides Decommissioning Programme, https://www.shell.co.uk/sustainability/decommissioning/brent-field-decommissioning/brent-field-decommissioning-programme/_jcr_content/par/tabbedcontent/tab/textimage.stream/1533568113168/49526773a234e2bea1a171685feb4918573a2127/brent-field-alpha-bravo-charlie-topsides-decommissioning-programme.pdf. Accessed in 12/11/2019;
Eider Alpha http://www.energyglobalnews.com/taqa-converts-eider-alpha-platform-northern-north-sea/. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
British Petroleum, Miller Platform Dismounting, https://twitter.com/bp_plc/status/980145003832819712/photo/1. Accessed in 26/05/2020;
Aker BP - Valhall QP Topside Safely Removed - https://www.akerbp.com/en/valhall-qp-topside-safely-removed. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Offshore Magazine - Pioneering Spirit Removes Valhall QP Topsides - https://www.offshore-mag.com/rigs-vessels/article/14034895/pioneering-spirit-removes-valhall-qp-topsides. Accessed in: 08/02/2020;
BP North West Hutton Decommission Programme - https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/country-sites/en_gb/united-kingdom/home/pdf/North_West_Hutton_Decommissioning_NEW.pdf. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Atlas Knowledge Topside Removal Options - https://www.atlasknowledge.com/insights/topside-removal-options. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Shell Leman BH Decommissioning Programme, https://www.shell.co.uk/sustainability/decommissioning/leman-bh-decommissioning/_jcr_content/par/relatedtopics.stream/1438335921551/65cfa1cb08702a42fa7aab673a581be0538200e2/leman-bh-decommissioning-programme.pdf. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Offshore Magazine - Red Hawk stands as first spar ever decommissioned in GoM , https://www.offshore-mag.com/field-development/article/ 16758430/red-hawk-stands-as-first-spar-ever-decommissioned-in-gom. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Versabar VB-10000 “The Claw” - http://www.vbar.com/vb10000/index.html. Accessed in 08/02/2020.
Deme Group Apollo Jack-up particulars - https://www.deme-group.com/technologies/apollo. Accessed in: 08/02/2020.
Pioneering Spirit  https://allseas.com/equipment/pioneering-spirit/ Accessed in 08/02/2020.
Taqa submits decommissioning plan for 30-year-old North Sea platform,
COSCO Shipping Twin Lift Solution - https://coscoht.com/projects/decommisioning/. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Ninian North ‘fully ready’ for single-lift decommissioning job - https://www.energyvoice.com/events/offshore-europe/206967/ninian-north-fully-ready-for-single-lift-decommissioning-job/. Accessed in: 08/02/2020;
Pioneering Spirit preparing for North Sea Tyra platform removals - https://www.offshore-mag.com/production/article/14168577/pioneering-spirit-preparing-for-north-sea-tyra-platform-removals. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Valhall QP topside safely removed - https://energynorthern.com/2019/06/17/valhall-qp-topside-safely-removed/. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Yme platform removed in a single lift - https://www.ogj.com/drilling-production/article/17249488/yme-platform-removed-in-a-single-lift. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Johan Sverdrup offshore installation completed - https://www.lundin-energy.com/johan-sverdrup-offshore-installation-completed/. Accessed in 08/02/2020
Heerema Marine Contractors Sleipnir - https://hmc.heerema.com/fleet/sleipnir/. Accessed in 08/02/2020;
Kaiser, Mark J. & Narra, Siddhartha, 2018. "A hybrid scenario-based decommissioning forecast for the shallow water U.S. Gulf of Mexico, 2018–2038," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 163(C), pages 1150-1177.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Marcio Soares Pinheiro, Paulo Roberto Duailibe Monteiro
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.