Prediction of Optimum Moisture Content of Soil using Genetic Algorithm
Keywords:Optimum Moisture Content, Genetic Model, c-Õ“ soil, index properties
A genetic model for the prediction of compaction parameter ‘Optimum moisture content’ is developed in this project. It is difficult to obtain OMC directly from the field, because it needs lot of effort and time by using laboratory method. The development of OMC from index properties of soils helps to reduce this effort. The considered index properties in this project are liquid limit, plastic limit, percentage fines, percentage sands, percentage gravels and specific gravity. The development and verification of the genetic model was done using a large database with 200 case histories from various sources and Geo Technical Engineering Laboratories from Ernakulum district, Kerala. The dataset mainly is of c-Փ soils. The correlation of predicted data with actual measurements was found out and got to know that the genetic algorithm method have good degree of accuracy.
C M Chan, L M Zhang, and Jenny T Ng, â€œOptimization of Pile Groups Using Hybrid Genetic Algorithms.â€ Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering., vol. 135, no. 4, pp. 497â€“505, 2009.
Al-Khafaji A.N, â€œEstimation of soil compaction Parameters by means of atterberg limitâ€ Q. J. Eng. Geol. Hydrogeol., vol.26, no.4, pp. 359-368, 1993.
Culshaw, M. G, "The provision of digital spatial data for engineering geologists", Bull Eng Geol Env, pp: 185â€“194, 2006.
Blotz L, Bension, C. and Boutwell, G., â€œEstimating optimum water content and max.dry unit weight for compacted soilsâ€ J. Geotech Geoenvir Engg., vol.124, no. 9, pp. 907-912, 1998.
Maziar Pasdarpour a, Mahmoud Ghazavi., â€œOptimal design of soil dynamic compaction using genetic algorithm and fuzzy systemâ€, journal of Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering., vol. 29, pp. 1103-1112, 2009.
A. Johari , A.A. Javadi , G. Habibagahi., â€œModelling the mechanical behaviour of unsaturated soils using a genetic
algorithm-based neural networkâ€, journal of Computers and Geotechnics., vol. 38, pp. 2-13, 2011.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Fasna M B, Fathima Zuhara T. N., Sowmya V. Krishnankutty
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.