An Efficient Hybrid Filtering Method for Noise and Artifacts Removal in Effective Medical Image Segmentation
Keywords:Artifact, Computer tomography, Curvelet Filter, Hybrid Filter, Noise, Segmentation, Wavelet Filter
Medical imaging technology is becoming a key element for accurate diagnosis in medical domain. Noise and artifacts are the biggest obstacles in processing the medical images.Â Medical image pre-processing is a challenging task in the Computer-aided Diagnostic systems. It is very significant, particularly in tumor region segmentation and identification. The exact tumor segmentation is possible if the image is preprocessed accurately. In this paper, we propose a novel Hybrid Filtering method by the combination of wavelet filtering and curvelet filtering technique to reduce the noise and artifacts in Computer Tomography images for effective segmentation.Â The performances of Hybrid filtering method is evaluated by using various quantitative measures. It has been found that the Hybrid filtering method performs well in terms of performance metrics, visual quality and also reduces the over segmentation in accurate tumor identification.
Gurmeet Kaur and Rupinder Kaur, â€œImage De-Noising using Wavelet Transform and Various Filtersâ€ , International Journal of Research in Computer Science, vol. 2, no.2, pp.15-21, 2012.
Woods J. and Kim J, â€œImage identification and restoration in the sub band domainâ€, In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing 1992, San Francisco, vol.3, pp. 297-300,1992.
Bahareh Shalchian, Hossein Rajabi, and Hamid Soltanian-Zadeh, â€œAssessment of the Wavelet Transform in Reduction of Noise from Simulated PET Imagesâ€, Journal of Nuclear Medicine Technology, vol.37, no.4, pp.223â€“228, 2009.
Priti Naik and Shalini Bhatia, â€œImage Denoising Using Curvelet Transformâ€, In Proceedings of SPIT-IEEE Colloquium and International Conference, Mumbai, India, vol. 1, pp.116-120, 2007.
Kingsbury N, â€œComplex wavelets for shift invariant analysis and altering of signalsâ€, Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, vol.10, no.3, pp. 234-253, 2001.
Rammohan, T. and Sankaranarayanan, K, â€œAn Advanced Curvelet Transform Based Image Compression using Dead Zone Quantizationâ€, European Journal of Scientific Research, vol.79,no.4, pp.486-496,2012.
The Role of PET/CT in Radiation Treatment Planning for Cancer Patient Treatment, International Atomic Energy Agency, ISBN: 978-92-0-110408-3, 2008.
Guangming Zhang, Zhiming Cui1, Jianming Chen and Jian Wu, â€œCT Image De-noising Model Based on Independent Component Analysis and Curvelet Transformâ€, Journal of Software, vol. 5, no.9, pp.1006-1013,2012.
Jiang Taoa and Zhao Xinb, â€œResearch And Application of Image Denoising Method Based on Curvelet Transformâ€, The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences Beijing, vol. 37, Part B, pp.363-368, 2008.
Jianwei Ma and Gerlind Plonka., â€œThe Curvelet Transformâ€, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol.27, no.2, pp.118-133, 2010.
Kim-Han Thung, Paramesran Raveendran and Chern-Loon Lim,â€Content-based image quality metric using similarity measure of moment vectorsâ€, Pattern Recognition , vol.45,no.6, pp.2193-2204,2012.
Kim-Han Thung and Paramesran Raveendran, â€œA Survey of Image Quality Measuresâ€, In Proceeding of the International Conference for Technical Postgraduates(TECHPOS), pp.1-4, 2009.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.