The Effect of Internal and External Factors on Stock Return: Empirical Evidence from the Indonesian Construction Subsector
Keywords:Internal and External Factors, Construction Subsector, Stock Returns, Panel Data Analysis, Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX)
Many objectives that become a concern for investor while investing in the stock market. The aims Â of this study are to identify the effect of internal factors and external factors on stock returns construction Subsector in Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX) during 2010 to 2014, and analyzing the beta values of all construction companies which will determine investment decisions.Â The internal factors are financial performances there are Quick Ratio, Debt to Equity Ratio (DER), Return on Equity (ROE), Earning per Share (EPS), and Price earning Ratio (PER). The external factors are Inflation, Interest Rate, Exchange Rate and Presidential Regulation. Panel data analysis was applied to estimate the relationship between internal factors and external factors on stock returns. The result of the study shows that the internal factor which is Quick Ratio, Debt To Equity Ratio (DER) and Price Earning Ratio (PER) has a significant negative effect on stock returns in Indonesian construction subsector. The study also shows that Inflation and Interest rate, has a significant negative effect on stock returns construction Subsector. The Exchange Rate has a significant positive effect, and Presidential regulation has insignificant effect on stock returns construction subsector. The beta values shows that all of beta values construction companies are above one, which implies that these stocks of construction companies are aggressive stocks.
Keywordsâ€” Internal and External Factors, Construction Subsector, Stock Returns, Panel Data Analysis, Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX)
Alam Z, Rashid K, â€œTime series analysis of the relationship between macroeconomic factors and the stock market returns in Pakistanâ€, Journal of Yasar University, vol. 9, no. 36, pp. 6361-6370, 2014.
Al-Qudah MAL, â€œThe factors that affect sharesâ€™return in Amman Stock Marketâ€, Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, vol. 4, no. 6, 2012.
Arabsalehi M, Mahmoodi I, â€œThe quest for the superior financial performance measuresâ€, International Journal of Economics and Finance, vol. 4, no.2, 2012.
Arslan M, â€œImpact of dividend yield and price earnings ratio on stock returns: A study non-financial listed firms of Pakistanâ€, Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, vol. 5, no. 19, pp. 68-79, 2014.
Benakovic D, Posedel P, â€œDo macroeconomic factors natter for stock return? Evidence from estimating a multifactor model on the Croatian marketâ€, Business Systems Research, vol. 01, no. 1-2, pp. 1-5, 2010.
Chambers N, Sezgin F, Karaaslan B, â€œ An analysis of the effect of capital structure and the beta coeeficient on stock returns: A case study of the Istanbul Stock exchange (ISE) â€“ manufacturing industryâ€, International Journal of Business and Social Science, vol. 4, no. 7, 2013.
Chidothi D, Sheefeni JP, â€œRelationship between inflation and stock prices in Zambiaâ€, Asian Journal of Business and Management, vol. 01, no. 4, 2013.
Flannery MJ, Protopapadakis A, â€œFactors do influence agregate stock returnsâ€, The Review of Financial Studies Summer, vol.15, no. 3, pp. 751-782, 2002.
Gao Y, Oler D, â€œRumors and pre-announcement trading: why sell target stocks before acquisition announcements?â€, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, pp.1-24, 2011.
Garba A, â€œImpact of macroeconomic factors on common stock returns: A study of listed manufacturing firms in Nigeriaâ€, European Journal of Business and Management, vol. 6, no. 13, 2014.
Hermawan E. â€œ2015, Pekerja Konstruksi bertambah 60 persenâ€, from http://bisnis.tempo.co/read/news, Jakarta, Indonesia, 2013.
Hooker MA, â€œMacroeconomic factors and emerging market equity returns: A Bayesian model selection aproachâ€, Emerging Markets Review, vol. 5, pp. 379-387. 2011.
Hunjra AI et al, â€œ Impact of dividend policy, earning per share, return on equity, profit after tax on stock pricesâ€, International Journal of Economics and Empirical Research, vol. 2, no.3, pp. 109-115, 2014.
Hussain NM, â€œImpact of capital structure on stock price of cement sector in Pakistanâ€, Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 778-798, 2011.
Idawati W, Wahyudi A, â€œEffect of earning per share (EPS) and return on assets (ROA) against share price on coal mining company listed in Indonesia Stock Exchangeâ€, Journal of Resource Development and Management, vol. 7, pp. 79-91, 2015.
Jabbari E, Fathi Z, â€œPrediction of stock returns using financial ratios based on historical cost, compared with adjusted prices (accounting for inflation) with neural network approachâ€, Indian Journal of Fundamental and Applied Life Sciences, vol. 4 (S4), pp. 1064-1078, 2014.
Komala LAP, Nugroho IP, â€œThe effects of profitability Ratio, liquidity, and debt towards investment returnâ€, Journal of Business and Economics, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 1176-1186, 2013.
Malhotra N, Tandon K, â€œDeterminants of stock prices: Empirical evidence from NSE 100 companiesâ€, International journal of Research in Management & Technology, vol. 3, no.3, pp. 86-95, 2013.
Mirela C, â€œFinancial return in the field of constructions: what accounting issues should an investor know?â€, Bulletin of The Transilvania University of Brasov, vol. 7, no. 56, pp. 175-180, 2014.
Oladipo FO, Oni OJ, â€œA review of selected macroeconomic factors impacting building material prices in developing countriesâ€, Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies and Management EJESM, vol. 5, no.2, pp. 131-137, 2012.
Ozlen S, Ergun U, â€œInternal determinants of the stock price movements on sector basisâ€, International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, no. 92, pp. 111-117, 2012.
Petcharabul P, Rompraser S, â€œTechnology industry on financial ratios and stock returnsâ€, Journal of Business and Economics, vol.5, no.5, pp. 739-746, 2014.
Pettengil GN, Sundaram S, Mathur I, â€œThe conditional relation between beta and returnsâ€, The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 101-116, 1995.
Saeed S, â€œMacroeconomic factor and sectoral indices; A study of Karachi Stock Exchange (Pakistan)â€, European Journal of Business and Management, vol. 49, no. 17, pp. 132-152, 2012.
Singh T, Mehat S, Varsha MS, â€œMacroeconomic factors and stock returns: Evidence from taiwanâ€, Journal of Economics and International Finance, vol. 2(4), pp. 217-227, 2011.
Srinivasan P, â€œDeterminants of equity share prices in India: A panel data approachâ€, The Romanian Journal, vol. 15, no. 46, pp. 132-152, 2012.
Thim KC, Choong YV, Asri NQB, â€œStock performance of the property sector in Malaysiaâ€, Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 241-246, 2012.
Wongbangpo P, Subhash CS, â€œStock market and macroeconomic fundamental dynamic interactions: ASEAN-5 Countriesâ€, Journal of Asian Economic, vol.13, pp. 27-51, 2002.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under aÂ Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.