Design of a Circularly Polarized T â€“ Stub Coupled Microstrip Patch Antenna for WLAN
Keywords:Active antenna, T â€“ coupled junction, DC Isolation, circular polarization, axial ratio
In this paper a new way of feeding single layer microstrip patch antenna to generate circular polarization using electromagnetically coupled microstrip T junction is proposed. The proposed antenna eliminates the need for capacitors in the RF path for active antenna applications in wireless local area network (WLAN). The simulated results using IE3D software were verified by measurement using the vector network analyzer.
F. Yang, X-X Zhang, X. Ye, Y. Rahmat-Samii, â€œWideband E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communicationsâ€, IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol. 49, pp. 1094â€“ 1100, 2001.
K. L. Wong, Planar Antennas for Wireless Communications, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2003.
J. S. Roy, N. Chattoraj, N. Swain, â€œShort circuited microstrip antennas for multi-band wireless communicationsâ€, Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2372 â€“ 2375, Dec.2006.
J. S. Roy, M. Thomas, â€œDesign of a circularly polarized microstrip antenna for WLANâ€, Progress In Electromagnetic Research, PIER M, vol. 3, pp. 79 â€“ 90, 2008.
J. Ghosh, J. S. Roy, â€œDesign of a wideband microstrip antennaâ€, Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, JEMWA, vol. 22, pp. 2379-2389, 2008.
L. Varshney, J. S. Roy, â€œA broadband stepped-slot antennaâ€, Microwave Review, Vol. 5, No.2, pp. 33-36, Dec. 2009.
J. S. Roy, M. Thomas, â€œInvestigations on a new proximity coupled dual-frequency microstrip antenna for wireless communicationâ€, Microwave Review, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 12 â€“ 15, June 2007.
J. R. James, P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1989.
D. M. Pozar, D. H. Schaubert , Microstrip Antennas: Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
S. C. Gao, L. W. Li, P. Gardner, P. S. Hall, â€œWideband dual polarized microstrip patch antennaâ€, Electronics Letters, vol.37, pp 1213-1214, 2001.
M. E. Bialkowski, H. J. Song, K. M. Luk, C. H. Chan, â€œTheory of active transmit/reflect array of patch antennas operating as a spatial power combinerâ€, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Intâ€™l Symp, Boston, USA, vol.4, pp. 764-767, 2001.
D. G. Kurup, A. Rydberg, M. Himdi, â€œCompact microstrip T â€“ coupled patch antenna for dual polarization and active antenna applicationsâ€, Electronics Letters, vol.38, no.21, pp. 1240-1241, 2002.
P.H. Rao, V.F. Fusco, R. Cahill, â€œWideband linear and circularly polarized patch antenna using a printed stepped T-feedâ€, IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol.50, pp. 356â€“361, 2002.
W.C. Liu, P.C. Kao, â€œDesign of a probe-fed H-shaped microstrip antenna for circular polarizationâ€, Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, vol. 21, pp. 857â€“864, 2007.
K.L. Chung, â€œA wideband circularly polarized H-shaped patch antennaâ€, IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol. 58, pp. 3379â€“3383, 2010.
F.S. Chang, K.L. Wong, T.-W. Chiou, â€œLow-cost broadband circularly polarized patch antennaâ€, IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol.51, pp. 3006â€“3009, 2003.
K. L. Chung, A.S. Mohan, â€œA systematic method to obtain broadband characteristics for singly-fed electromagnetically coupled patch antennas for circular polarizationâ€, IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol. 51, pp. 3239â€“3248, 2003.
K.L. Lau, K.M. Luk, â€œA novel wideband circularly polarized patch antenna based on L-probe and aperture coupling techniquesâ€, IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol. 53, pp. 577â€“580, 2005.
W.K. Lo, C.H. Chan, K.M. Luk, â€œBandwidth enhancement of circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using multiple l-shaped probe feedsâ€, Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, vol. 42, pp. 263â€“265, 2004.
K.M. Mak, K.M. Luk, â€œA circularly polarized antenna with wide axial ratio beamwidthâ€, IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, 57, pp. 3309â€“3312, 2009.
D. H. Choi, S. O. Park, â€œActive integrated antenna using a T shaped microstrip coupled patch antennaâ€, Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, vol. 44, no.5, pp. 434-436, 2005.
K. Chang, K. A. Hummer, G. K. Gopalakrishnan, â€œ Active radiating element using FET source integrated with microstrip patch antennaâ€, Electronics Letters, vol.24, pp. 1347-1348, 1988.
M. D. Sharma, A. Katariya, R. S. Meena, â€œE shaped patch microstrip antenna for WLAN application using probe feed and aperture feedâ€, IEEE International Conference CSNT, 11-13 May, 2012, IEEE Xplore, pp. 66-70, 2012.
M. S. M. Ali, S. K. A. Rahim, M. I. Sabran, M. Abedian, A. Eteng , M. T. Islam, â€œDual band miniaturized microstrip slot antenna for WLAN applicationsâ€, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol.58, issue 6, pp. 1358-1362, March 2016.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.